How many have lost their jobs this year?

TS | Crazyace

Count me as #1

Sucks eh?

The US economy sucks right now also, so as for jobs in the future? Hmmm...

I am in the airline industry, so I doubt a new job within my field anytime soon.

I'm very sorry to hear that, Crazy.

One way that I like to look upon these kinds of things is that its probably a cue for you to move on in your life, and maybe do something else.

Funnily enough I think I made the decision today that I really do have to leave where I am, in a minimum of 12 months. I could stay with the university but do another job, or go somewhere else. Either way, I think I want out of my current job.

Sorry to hear of your troubles Crazyace, hope you find something soon.

Many people where I live have lost their jobs since near the end of last year. Mostly Textile related, though that hurts me because that was a big part of the contracts that the company I work for holds. Other industries are falling here as well, mostly moving their operations overseas to get cheaper labor. With the death of industry, the only thing left for electronics technicians like me to do is consumer service, which isn't very lucravive here. The alternative is avionics, but there aren't a lot of jobs available in that field either.

As for now, I still have a job, though if anymore plants close, there won't be enough work for all of us and some will have to go. I'm sure there will be two techs who will be let go, possibly three. If it is three, I will be one of them. I am third from the bottom in seniority, which is how things like this are determined.

While people are getting kicked out of thier current jobs here I am going to be freshly graduated trying to get a job. Not looking good either. Although I do go talk to a company here in a few minutes.

I am in the same boat as SNGX. I have tried to talk to companies, but nothing is coming out of htat, except that they are not hiring anymore, and just had layoffs. This really sucks for me, because I am getting married in June, and need some money to buy a house, pay for wedding, honeymoon, etc. I was going to go to grad school, but that looks out of the question as well, because I don't want to have to make my fiance leave her job.

So I feel your pain CrazyAce, just keep your head up and we will all get through this.

I'm not long in my job, but I work in the travel industry - who have just reported sales at 40% below (for January) last year because of imminant war.

I feel fairly secure in my job although a lot of the sales staff are quaking in their boots.

Keep your eyes wide open, and the possibilities will be endless....

You might want to check out Equifax Phantasm. The Clydebank office is gone now though Bradford & London are still around in the UK (Not sure if there's another UK site). Dunno if they have some jobs postings or anything though we/they do have full time IT guys.

Back