How many pins do i have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How many pins do i have on my RAM stick? This ram stick came with my computer and was already installed. SO how can i tell how many pins there are on it? Also,if i buy another stick from Corsair(first one wasnt corsair, anonymous brand actually), will it work? My RAM stick is DDR too. Do i have to have the exact pins? For example, can i have one stick with like 200 pins and another one with 300. Will it work on my mobo.?

Sorry noobie here

you have to get one with the same amount of pins or it won't fit. First of all what computer do you have then we could research and see what kind is in it now. also look to see if your computer manufacture has upgrades on their website and it should say how many pins.

Well, ram comes in 168, 184, and 240 pin versions. 168 is sdram, 184 is ddr ram, and 240 is ddr2 ram. If you have ddr, then you should have 184 pin ram. You need to check what speed your ram is. It could be pc2700, or pc3200, or pc.... whatever speed. Once you find what speed, then you simply find a 184 pin stick of whatever speed ddr ram you need. Brands for ram don't have to match. If you got the system from a manufacturer, (dell, hp, sony, emachine, etc) then it should say what type of ram your computer takes in the manual. If you still can't find the speed of the ram, then download everest home edition, install it, click motherboard, then click spd, somewhere it should say the speed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back