How Much DDR-RAM can I install?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trapnhunt4ever

I have a HP a250n PC with 512MB (256x2) total. I want to upgrade, but I don't know what I should put in. It has 4 slots total for RAM, two of which are filled right now. I have two spaces free, so I'd like to get another 512MB. to add to it. However, Could I buy 1GB. memory for each slot? (2048MB total (for 2 slots)) I thought I heard somewhere that some computers won't recognize that much memory... Also, do you think I should upgrade, as this is a family computer, and some games are played, but most of the work is done on the web... What kind of performance will I get by doubling (Or quadrupilling) the RAM? Thanks,,

Patrick~

Hi. Do you have the motherboard book? It should state in there the maximum capacity of RAM. If you don't have the book, find out what motherboard you have and do a google search for the maximum RAM capacity for that mobo. If you are just playing some games and browsing the internet then I would suggest
getting a 512 mb chip and installing it(of course you would check the mobo book for what type of RAM you need). If you are utilizing some memory hogging programs or doing some serious gaming, then I would suggest buying another gig
or a gig and 1/2 to upgrade. Get back to me with some more specs(motherboard info). I'm guessing your mobo supports up to 4 gigs of RAM. Since you only have 512 RAM taking 2 slots, unless you want to throw those away and start fresh, you probably can only upgrade to 2 and 1/2 gigs RAM(your original 512 plus two more 1 gig sticks. Ok. do some research. Peace.

I found this information-
Intel Pentium 4 2.6GHz with 800MHz Bus on a i865G Based Motherboard
512MB PC2700 DDR Memory (2 DIMMs for Dual Channel)
120 Gigabyte Hard Drive
DVD+RW Burner and 48x CD-ROM Optical Drives
Integrated AC '97 Audio
NVIDIA GeForce 4 MX Graphics Processor with 64MB Memory
Intel 10/100 Ethernet and v.90 56Kbps Modem
Six USB 2.0, Two IEEE 1394 FireWire and 6-in-1 Media Reader
Windows XP Home

Is this enough information?

Patrick~

Memory Details for Compaq / Hewlett Packard ( HP ) Pavilion a250n
Standard Memory : 128MB or 256MB (Removable)
Maximum Memory : 1GB
Total Memory Slots : 2
Memory Type : 184-Pin PC2700 (333MHz) DIMM

Hope this helps.

Regards Howard :)

Ok, It says that the motherboard can support 4GB. of DDR-RAM. However, it recommends that you only use 2GB. Could I buy a 512MB stick and combine it with the original 2 256MB sticks? I just thought that the RAM all had to be the same in number...

Patrick~~

Trapnhunt4ever said:
Ok, It says that the motherboard can support 4GB. of DDR-RAM. However, it recommends that you only use 2GB. Could I buy a 512MB stick and combine it with the original 2 256MB sticks? I just thought that the RAM all had to be the same in number...

Patrick~~

It depends really. Some mobo`s are very picky when it comes to ram, others are more forgiving.

Are the 2 256MB sticks the same make/speed etc. If not, you`re probably asking for trouble.

If they are, then give it a try, and see what happens.

Regards Howard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back