How Much Difference Core 2 duo 2.4 GHz will make

Status
Not open for further replies.

robertq

I am buying a new system from Dell.

There is a great price difference between Core 2 Duo E 6600 2.4 GHz with 4 MB L 2 compared to Core 2 Duo 2.13 GHz 2 MB L 2

How much difference will it make if everything else remains same. Is it worth paying almost twice for E 600 compared to E 6400 ?

Thanks

personally, I don't think you'd see much of a difference, unless you need all that computing power. If all you do is games... you might see some improvement, unless you're using an 8800gtx (or 2), where you'd see moderate improvement in framerates.

Having more cache today doesn't make much of a difference, E6300 clocked to the same frequency as E6600 shows not much improvement.

nodsu said:
Solitaire will run just as fast.

I beg to differ, you can see a 2fps increase when playing solitaire....

:D

We still don't have the computer power or the graphics power to play solitaire on Ultra quality... We probably won't for several years. The game really would look stunning on Ultra. It's really too bad.

not really worth the extra cost and the speed is hardly noticable. Plus the slower chip is easier to overclock from what I hear. I don't recommend overclocking, but some do.

robertq said:
How much difference will it make if everything else remains same
both processors are very fast. between the two, there would be a noticeable difference in benchmarks but chances are you would never notice any difference in real world applications.

robertq said:
Is it worth paying almost twice for E 600 compared to E 6400 ?
twice as much? :eek: IMHO, no, it's not worth it... save your money and go with the "slower" CPU.

cheers :wave:

Like I said, you won't see much difference. Benchmarking is a different territory.

But then again, if you're looking at video editing, or you encrypt alot of data... stuff like that which require alot of computing power, you'd appreciate the extra horsepower the E6600 would provide. It really depends on what you use your computer for, which nodsu "pointed" out.

I swear solitaire runs faster on the E6600...

:D

Someone needs to make a new benchmark. Screw 3dmark. We should be using Soli-mark! How many Soli-marks does your computer get in a simulated Solitaire environment?

Mine scored a 4. I really need an upgrade. The end bit with all the cards going everywhere was a slideshow on my 2.4ghz Northwood...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back