How much do you pay to your ISP and how many ISPs are present wherever u live?

Rage_3K_Moiz

Just curious as to how much people are paying for broadband services.
I pay 189 Dhs. for 512 KBPS. That comes upto around $50. What about u guys? Plus, we have only one ISP here in the UAE(complete monopoly, these guys suck) with another one arriving only at the end of this year.

£21.99 = (US)$40.17573 per month for 2M/256 ADSL (but I get 250 minutes of free VOIP to UK fixed lines, so I'm not that unhappy.

Also, It's getting upgraded for free to the new standard of ADSL in this country, which could see me with as much as an 8M connection for that price. I have loads of ISP's I can choose from - but most of them simply resell the same service in this country.

$43 per month for 6Mb Cable connection. Only have one choice for cable (Comcast) but there are many options if I went with DSL.

$35 a month for 1.5/384 but its bundled into my land line phone and somehow the total comes to some outrageous amount like $98/mo for all that.

There are 2 ISPs in my area, both charge about the same. I have DSL but if I was to switch to cable I could go up to 5Mbps rather than 1.5 that I'm limited to by range right now, problem is the UL still is capped at 384, and its over $100/mo for that. IMO if you are going to get 5Mbps down and pay over $100/mo the ISP better be providing you with at least 1.5Mbps up.

£24:99 per month for 4MB NTL cable broadband, with no download cap.

As others have said, ther are lots of isp`s to choose from here in the UK.

Regards Howard :)

I pay $44.95 for 5MB/S on Time Warner Cable's RoadRunner service. I have the whole package which includes RoadRunner,Digital Phone, and Digital Cable service and I pay $139.95 per month.

I live in Ohio, and we have tons of ISPs here. TWC pretty much has everyone though

ISPs:

TWC
Comcast
Earthlink
AOL
Verizon DSL
SBC
Embarq
HughesNet (satellite 700KBPS)

dial-up service:
NetZero
AOL
Earthlink
Sprint
Bright.Net

Wouldn't a sattelite connection be faster than a normal wired connection? I think u meant 700MBPS AMD? Or is it 700KBPS?

No, it is 700KBPS, this isnt a T1 line like your thinking.

Hughesnet is what i call "pretend" sattelite internet, b/c yes its fast, but its mainly for ppl who dont have access to broadbandi in their area. Ohio is a very rural state, so if you dont live in a city, you pretty much cant get cable or DSL.

HughesNet puts a HUGE sattelite on your roof, and thats how it recieves it signal, then they run a line from the satt. to a modem, and plug it into your ethernet port, like normal DSL or cable.

however, it has its downside. its very expensive

$1600.00 for equipments plus installation
$199.99 for the modem
$59.99 per month for "slow" or $69.99 for the "faster" version

you pay about $1800 up front plus, you must sign a 15month contract, and if you break that contract, they make you pay a fee, plus, they make you pay for the equipment.

...AMD

€49.99 for DSL (4096Kbps/384Kbps) with a 40GB monthly limit & also for phone service which is free to any other local landline (you still pay to call cell phones, etc.).

There are 3/4 ISPs here, two of them being decently big. The biggest one is the previously state owned phone company which still owns all the landlines & rents them to the other phone/Internet operators. No wonder no one can compete with its high prices without taking a loss. :dead:

Didou said:
€49.99 for DSL (4096Kbps/384Kbps) with a 40GB monthly limit & also for phone service which is free to any other local landline (you still pay to call cell phones, etc.).

There are 3/4 ISPs here, two of them being decently big. The biggest one is the previously state owned phone company which still owns all the landlines & rents them to the other phone/Internet operators. No wonder no one can't compete with its high prices without taking a loss. :dead:
Yeah that's somewhat the case here. But we have only one ISP here ATM and they charge outrageously. I too have free landline calls.

seen here in the US, most ppl dont offer free phone service. Some ISPs offer free internet calling from PC-PC, lie my dad has NetZero, and they do that but you cant make landline phone calls.

there are some VOIP providers here though.
the major one is Vonage Broadband Phone service, they connect their phone modem to your broadband modem, and that how you get your service. its also very inexpensive, $24.99 for unlimited local and long distance phone calls throught the US, Canda and Puerto Rico, and i think its $1.99 per minute international calls.

Another big one is Skype internet phone, its free PC-PC calls and i think $5.99 per month for landline calls.

Alot of ppl here though dont even have landline phones, alot of ppl just use cell phones, and then use the cell phone carriers broadband wifi service.

for example my grandparents travel quite extensively, so they have Verizon Wireless cell phone, and then they also have Verizon Wireless Mobile Broadband service. they have a card that slips into the PCMCIA Type II slot, and they use it almost everywhere, and it costs $59.99 permonth, and has speeds of up to 1MB/S download, and 256KB upload.

...AMD

right now i'm still on the dailup plan ($24.95AU=Unlimited) but getting ADSL2 for $40AU = 2GB+4GB (offpeak bonus thing with their home tele bundle, which i cant rememer the total).. when they finaly decide to send the installer cd. (great company, slow service... gonna give em another call tomorow..) with Optus

Other major ISPs are Telstra Bigpond, Dodo, iPrimus, Unwired (wireless internet) plus others that slip my mind right now...

Skype also available here, somewhat and there are other companies (plus the telcos themselves) that have services but since i dont use them, havn't research much into the aussie VOIP services..

Well no point in comparing that feature of the state in which u live with the UAE, since if u take a map and look, the UAE isn't even close to the smallest US state in size. Everyone knows about Dubai as a beautiful, happening city but as soon as they feel the 50C+ heat here they run off back to wherever they came! Dubai is beautiful and happening but that's just the pretty side of the picture. Life here can get quite ugly, though foreigners from Western countries mostly don't get to see that side. All in all, it's just like any other big city like New York City, only much hotter and u don't get to see Arabs being frisked on the roads!(no offence).

i have a T-Mobile ADSL 1MB/S , I pay it 13.75$ plus the amount of traffic (download/upload) i spend = 512MB equals +4$

So I spend around 25$ a month...

I have only 1 choice for broadband: Comcast, and I won't deal with them due to past experiences. DSL not available.

Verizon FiOS may become available in my area sometime in the future, that's what I'm hoping for.

Right now, using dialup (home) makes me want to shove a pen through my forehead. At least I have a fast line at work ....

i've also heard that Cingular has good wifi, but they already had verizons phone plan, and it works great. Not as fast as my 5MB/S cable but heck of alot faster than Dial-Up

...AMD

I pay £17.99 a month for Telewests BlueYonder 2meg service its so reliable I have never had one problem, I have heard rave reviews about Zen but for the amount of dosh they want per month no thanks :)

I have two choices here, Verizon DSL, or Cablevision's Optimum Online, and thats about it.

I pay $55 a month for 30mbit down and 2mbit up, and I, unlike most people I know, absolutely love my cable company!

Sheesh! U guys are lucky man! I'm getting ripped off and the worst part is I don't have a choice! Just out of curiousity, is there any universal standard of download speed capping, as in 10-12% of ur total bandwidth?

West Los Angeles, CA - Comcast Cable
$55/mo - 8Mbps down; 768Kbps up

Back