How much power is enough?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivan Svabo

Well, I plan to buy tbredB 2200+, epox 8rda3+, 2x512ddr400, gf4 Ti4200 128 and I was wondering, will 300w power supply be enough?
Everything that would be in Codegen 6044L-C10, see it here
Is it codegen power supply ok? PPL sayz that JNC and Everpower will burn my comp, what about Codegen?
And I cant afford those fancy power supplys like Chiftec or alike so please dont event mention it.

Codegen is ok.. but 300w will not be enough for what you are planning. I ran a 350w Codegen PSU in my main system(check profile) and it only lasted 1 week before I burned it out(the ATX plug had black burn marks on it :eek: and it could not supply stable voltages anymore) Get at least a 400-450w, the more the better. Whatever brand you choose make sure they are on AMD's recommended PSU list at AMD's website AMD recommended brands . I learned that the hard way. Currently I have an Enermax PSU but I just bought an 450W Allied PSU for a friend for $47 from newegg.com and it is working great for him(XP2400+, 512pc2700, 8K5A2 and a Geforce2 Pro).

Codegen is one of the cheapest around - but that also means not very high quality. I've burned two of them too (300W ones).

Haven't heard of Logic before...however those PSUs that are not in the AMD recomended list may not always be crappy, they can be of high quality. In other word, PSU do not need to have AMD certifications to be good.

I know you don't want to hear it but If you're going to invest that kind of money into a computer you should save a few more weeks and spend $70 dollars on a good power supply like the Antec True 380W.

Wattage isn't the bottom line of the PSU. Today's components require more current than before. When looking at a PSU, you want to make sure it is from a reputable manufacture, it has enough power(wattage), and it also supplies enough current on the +12v rail(this is where many people make a mistake and think they don't have enough power) You need at least 16A for most of todays devices, though in some cases(and increasingly so) you may need as much as 24A.

Many people think you need 450-500w or more, and while this will give you plenty to spare, and most units of that size that are worth their salt do provide enough current to the +12v rail, you could probably be just as well off with a 350-400W unit that supplies enough current.

Since everyone else seems to be dropping names, Enermax makes the best PSUs IMO.

It says in description of case:
current: +5 40A, +12 17A, -5 0.8A, -12 0.3A
It has 400W L&C PSU.
So this +12 17A value means i shuld have enough power for the up said configuratin?

In theory, a 300 watt PSU would be enough I imagine. :) But the problem is, as larger and larger PSUs become mainstream, the quality of the PSUs becomes very poor.

So it is better to get a higher wattage PSU to help make up for the overhead of cheap components.

Where do you plan on getting this Logic PSU from? webite or a local store? If its a website can you give us a link to it cause I would like to see it, unless you have already bought a PSU.:blush:

Ive bought it... it was from local store with website, but on web was only general information, nothing about PSU voltage.
Values Ive wrote in previous post r from PSU itself.
Well, Ive set up my new comp.
PSU works great! Case looks awsome (nice blue led i front of case), no problem with power... and a year guarantie on PSU
Kickass!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back