How much space for Vista Ultimate?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lopdog

I´m going to install Vista Ultimate x64 on a 160 Gb HDD, making a partition only for Vista. How big should I make the partition?
I know Microsoft recommends 15 GB, but I want to leave as much as possible for the other partition (video editing). I will be moving the entire P"rogramfiles" folder to the partition, as well as all temp-folders. How small can I make it without problems?

I guess that´s the safest thing to do. Now I have another question: The computer has 4 GB of memory. I don´t know about Vista, but Win XP creates a file (hiberfil.sys) on the root-drive, with the same size as the installed RAM, for Hibernating. Does that mean I have to add 4 GB to my partition, making it 19 GB?

I'd say the 15 GB includes that, but what do I know, since RAM amounts vary.

The installer will notify you if you have less than recommended amount of free space. You can also turn hibernation off (from command prompt, there's no setting for that in power options) to save that space.

I've removed unnecessary features from my Vista Ultimate x64 installation using vLite, now it takes about 6 GB of space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back