How NOT to require cleaning in your computer

Status
Not open for further replies.

CMH

I've recently opened up my case, which I haven't done in a long long time, and I found quite abit of stuff in there. If it were just dust, I wouldn't have mind alot, but having said that, I might just say I found: 1xbeetle, 2xhousefly 1xmoth, all in the casing. Dead of course, but how did they get into my 24/7 running comp or into the room in the first place is a mystery. Not too many insects in Australia, especially with all that mesh at all windows and doors.

Anyway, I was thinking, is there any way we can just reduce the amount of fust that goes into the computer? here's some suggestion (feel free to add your own):
1: Get a filter at each air intake. Works best when all other intakes are sealed. Scotch tape helps at those small holes near the base of the casing.
Pros: no dust in computer, no insects neither.
Cons: reduces air intake, may cause overheating.

2. Get an ionizer, and put it into the computer. How exactly this will work, I don't know, but hopefully it'll attract all dust on it, reducing the total number of items needed to be cleaned.
pros: no dust in computer, doesn't affect airflow.
cons: may cause damage to computer from static electricity, doesn't work with insects.

3. Vacuum seal the computer, and use watercooling.
pros: keeps 100% dust and insects out, might even look cool.
cons: expensive, makes accessing inside of computer hard, might cause other components to fry.

4. Live in a place thats less dusty. Places include: marshland, Greenland, both poles, and Atlantis.
pros: No dust to worry about in the first place, doesn't require additional components.
cons: Moving costs, new place may be less comfortable, may require the skill to breathe underwater, computer might not work underwater. Also doesn't solve problems with insects.

Before attempting any of the above, please weight the pros and cons, as highlighted. I will also not be held responsible for any damage to your computer as a result of implementing any of the above. Batteries not included.

Filters

On two computers I've built previously I hot glued plastic j-channel around the fan inductions and other areas that air would be sucked into the case and I bought floor vent filters from home depot. I cut the filter material to fit the j-channel and slid the filters into them. The filter material is cheap and easy to replace.

You can take a dryer sheet and place on your air intakes. That acts as a filter without restricting too much airflow.

Added bonus, now your room won't smell as nasty.

Dryer Sheets! LOL

SNGX1275 said:
You can take a dryer sheet and place on your air intakes. That acts as a filter without restricting too much airflow.

Now your computer freshens the air too - LOL - that's great!

No more static cling!

Quote from SNGX1275 "You can take a dryer sheet and place on your air intakes. That acts as a filter without restricting too much airflow."

Thanks for tip..lol

Bipolar

Hey, I didn't really give those dryer sheets a try.... maybe I should

But then again, I found alot of places where air still manages to enter the pc (PCI openings on the casings, between the CD drives, etc). What can I use to seal these parts, and still be able to undo what I did (say, I wanna remove the graphics, I don't want to seal the card onto the casing).

Also, its gotta be long lasting, and won't degrade from prolonged exposure to heat....

SNGX1275 said:

Funny, I thought it was my farts, not the computer!

those are good ideas

Don't expect some of those tactics to work 100% efficiently. Even with a dryer sheet small amounts of dust can creep into the PC. After a long time, be sure to still check inside to see if there's a build-up of it.

The only place you can run your PC without dust is Outer Space.

DARTH :darth: VADER

Expanding foam?

I remember seeing a long long time ago, think it was on this site where a PC was incased in expanding foam. The only thing open was air intakes and the CDrom drive!

And thats enough open things to get a buildup of dust in the comp.

and anyone got ideas on how a moth can get through my fans? I've got some suggestions, which included a grub getting in there and morphing, but I can't find any coccoons....

A Moth?

CMH said:

and anyone got ideas on how a moth can get through my fans? I've got some suggestions, which included a grub getting in there and morphing, but I can't find any coccoons....

Do you have many flying insects buzzing around your home? :D

Maybe his timing was great. You gotta watch out for those mutant smart moths!

Next thing you know, they'll be blowing up your lightbulbs!

halo71 said:
I remember seeing a long long time ago, think it was on this site where a PC was incased in expanding foam. The only thing open was air intakes and the CDrom drive!

I think that would make for a rather messy expirence. I have used that stuff, and when the say expandable, their not kidding it got to like 10 times the size! If you messed up...thats alot of mess

Sean

But that dosen't really help, dust still gets in through the intake fans. And I don't really like the idea of restricting airflow, I'd like my comps to run as cool as possible.

And no, I hardly see any insects at all, even outside, which really baffles me. Do see flies a little during summer, which might explain the fly, beetles have hard shells, probably protected them from the fan blades, but a moth?!?!?

By the way, I still have problems with those small gaps between the PCI plates (and where the back plate meets the motherboard), anyone have any ideas on filling those gaps cheaply, and still be removable whenthe time arises?

CMH said:

airborn eggs? maybe it came fmor the factory. we get these cedar shingales from cannanada and theres have these wasps in them that are about 1 1/2" long

i had a problem with flies in the summer and to fix that i just put a peice of screen over my air intakes and i used some of that window silicon on all the little gaps (ex. i put some on the opening where my pci sound card was and had to replace it and it came out just fine and left no mess) it never hardins so if you wanna try that go for it...im not responsible if you mess up applying it tho :giddy: :giddy:

and anyone got ideas on how a moth can get through my fans?
Insects always find a way to get thru anything.

airborn eggs? maybe it came fmor the factory. we get these cedar shingales from cannanada and theres have these wasps in them that are about 1 1/2" long

We still have cedars? I thought they were all cut!

I tried dryer sheets and they are making too much resistance. Air passes poorly thru these.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back