how reformat my computer ???

Status
Not open for further replies.
hey, how do I do this ??? I now I have to burn some backup files programs, music and stuff. But Ive never reformat a computer, how can I do this ??? I have a VAIO RB PC. I have the windows XP home edition on the hard disk.

Put in your Windows XP CD. Restart the computer. Press a key when you see the "Press any key..." prompt before Windows begins to load... Follow the instructions.

If you don't get the prompt, then you may need to use your boot menu or change your boot order in the BIOS. Tapping the F12 key during the VAIO BIOS screen repeatedly will probably bring up the boot menu. From there, you can select your CDROM as a bootable device. If not, enter the BIOS and change the options by tapping the F2 (probably, but could be a different key) key in the same spot.

I dont have the Windows XP Cd, I guy that refomated my computer told me that I had Windows XP on my hard disk. Sorry for the ignorance but I really dont know much on this. What do I start doing first ??? Thanks

Reformatting your hard drive will erase everything on it, including your current installation of Windows XP. You will need a Windows XP CD to reinstall XP back onto your hard drive. You will have to get one from the PC manufacturer/builder or you can buy it.

You'll also need drivers for the motherboard and other devices and CDs for whatever programs you want to reinstall.

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

If I`m not mistaken, your computer should have a recovery partition, that you can use to reset everything to like it was new.

See HERE under System and file recovery/restore.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Thanks, Im reformating because I have some viruses and I choose to reformat, will that delete the viruses ???
Thanks

raphabar said:
Thanks, Im reformating because I have some viruses and I choose to reformat, will that delete the viruses ???
Thanks

Yes, a reformat will wipe the viruses on your system, except for any boot sector viruses, which thankfully are pretty rare these days..

Regards Howard :)

You can format by:

1. Create a boot disk
2. Start the computer with it
3. Select no-cd help
4. Type "format (hdd letter):

*NOTE*
This depends on what version of Operating System you have and is more in-depth. I suggest you google the topic, and you'll find a lot. Just never buy any software that formats your computer, since it doesn't; it usually makes your computer un-functionable by setting all of the registry keys to 0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back