How soon before an OS war between OS-X and XP/Longhorn?

scooter6139

I have read from a few 'experts' that with Apple switching over to Intel x86 cpu's that is is only a matter of time before there is an OS battle between Apple and Msft.

So far, Apple has denied that OSX will run or will be built to run on any pc, but some argue that to remain competitive Apple will release a pc version of it's stable OS to combat the 800lb gorilla in Redmond. (Steve Jobs admited that when they designed the latest version, Tiger, they programed two separate version: one for PowerPC and one for x86 since they foresaw a probable change in the near future.)

Any opinions on the matter? (No Apple basher please! :cool: )

Why would Apple have to combat Microsoft? It's not like MS is going to make an OS for Macs. They wouldn't be able to do it without help from Apple. And since Windows is not open source then there will be noone to hack it to make it run on the Intel Macs either.

As for OSX running on plain PCs.. Well, that is none of Apple's concern - they will probably let the geeks stuff the thing on PCs and maybe even provide a little support but that's all. It is not in Apples interest to have their great os running on everyones PC - they would lose their money that comes in from selling expensive Apple gear.

actaully i was posting this to see what people had to say (which i guess is not much ;) )since i had read a comment from the editor in chief of "Maximum PC" Will Smith

http://www.maximumpc.com/2005/07/apples_x86_inva.html

it was this quote that got me thinking:

"My take? Apple’s spewing hogwash. OS X will eventually be cleared for use on PCs, and then, finally, we’ll have a legitimate OS war at hand. In fact, the time is right for Apple to make the move from hardware builder to OS vendor. Windows is a mess. Spyware, viruses, and all the problems inherent to a 4-year-old OS have left Joe and Sally Consumer without a reliable home computer. The PC isn’t the problem. Windows is the problem."

Windows is a mess. Spyware, viruses, and all the problems inherent to a 4-year-old OS have left Joe and Sally Consumer without a reliable home computer.
if any other operating system was as popular as windows it would probably be the same way, in that respect. and we can't blame microsoft for the end user's lack of maintenance. the blame lies mostly with companies that make oem builds and want the average consumers to come back to get thiers fixed. i've said it before and i'll say it again: oem machines are built with one thing in mind - getting the consumer's money.

Back