How to a give a domain user local admin rights?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjanson

I work for a cardiology company and we use a program called medinformatix. I have installed this program on one of our employees computers and most of everything works except for a few things.

I called the company today and they were able to fix my problem. The only thing was that the tech support guy helped me fix the problem via remote desktop and didn't tell me how he did it. The only thing he told me was that he added the employee as a local administrator and that gave her the permissions to use the program fully.

So my question is how to I do this on my own, and also how would I do it through remote desktop? This is on Windows.

In older versions of Windows (XP, Vista) Local Administrators can be added by doing the following:

1. Right Click on My Computer (if you have privileges)
  2. Select Manage
  3. Navigate through System Tools > Local Users and Groups > Groups *
  4. On the Right-Side, Right Click on Administrators
  5. Select Properties
  6. Click the Add... button
  7. Type the User Name of the user you want to add as local admin.
  8. Click the Check Names button to verify the user name is correct.
  9. Click the OK button
  10. Click the OK button

* If you'd like to add a domain user as a local admin on a remote machine you can do the following:

• Right Click on Computer Management (Local)
  • Select Connect to another computer ...
  • Type in the IP Address, Computer Name, or Browse for the remote computer.

On Windows 7, 8 and Windows 10 the operating system provides a more robust set of tools within the Local Group Policy Editor (gpedit.msc) and the Computer Management console.

Search Start or Run for compmgmt.msc to open the Computer Management console. Here is more information about it. You can also right-click the Start button, and choose "Computer Management" from the list of options.

2019-01-10-image-5.png

Search Start or Run for gpedit.msc to open the Group Policy Editor. Here is more information about it.

Further reading: What does it mean to "Run as Administrator"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back