How to add an Access point

Status
Not open for further replies.

rmdl51

Hello everybody, I hope you can help me, I'm trying to add a second router on my wireless network but I don't know how to do it, nobody follow up my problem about gaming issues before but after researching a little bit I'm trying to setup a second router very close to my Nintendo Wii to check if that solves my problem.

The questions (pardon me if they sound too dumb):

1-Can my second router be a different brand than the main one?
2-should be wired?
3-if yes, from where? one of the 4 ports from the main router to the internet port on the second router?
4-is the same cable from router to router? I mean I remember using a crossover cable to bridge two computers, I don't know how it works for routers.
5-Are range expanders same as access points?
6-I was accessing my router (old one) but don't know how to configure as an access point, maybe not all routers have this feature.

Well besides all those questions any advice/opinion will be highly appreciate it, I'm really trying to avoid running cables across the house, so I need to figure out a convenient option for my wireless systems, Thanks!

Get the router working properly, then when it is defintely working, reboot.
Then plug in the access point, and run the install disk, or the access unit install download software.
Then set your WEP or WPA and other parameters... easy as pie... The first one is always confusing. Do not dwell on it too much.

rmdl51 said:
1-Can my second router be a different brand than the main one?
Yes, but it would be a much better idea to get a dedicated access point device and not a second router.
2-should be wired?
Yes, it's a good idea to wire the second AP to the router.
3-if yes, from where? one of the 4 ports from the main router to the internet port on the second router?
If you are using a second router, then connect any LAN port to any LAN port. With an access point use the only LAN port (or any one of them if you have several)
4-is the same cable from router to router? I mean I remember using a crossover cable to bridge two computers, I don't know how it works for routers.
Home routers usually work with any cable, so it doesn't matter.
5-Are range expanders same as access points?
No, but an AP may be able to act as a range expander and vice versa. Just look at the specifications of the device in question.
6-I was accessing my router (old one) but don't know how to configure as an access point, maybe not all routers have this feature.
All wireless routers work as access points if you enable the wireless. The problem is with all the extra services that routers tend to have. If you connect two routers, their DHCP servers will conflict for example.

Disable the DHCP on the router you want to use as an AP. There's usually a config page in the router setup offering you the option of using it as an AP, make sure that is checked. I think it then makes the necessary changes to the config to allow it to work purely as an AP.
I use my 2nd router as an AP, i can also plug my print server into one of its lan ports, so routers used as AP's have their benefits. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back