How to Backup Select Programs and Files on my Toshiba Satellite Before Reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, and thank you so much for checking out my question.

I'm trying to backup many *select* programs and files (audio, video and documents). I own a Toshiba Satellite (bought in 2003), which uses Windows XP and other files that came standard. I have added many, many programs and files to my PC since that time.

I would like to create a backup of most (but not all) of these programs and files. Then I would like to restore my computer to its original condition (I'm hoping that this process will take all of the little bugs and snails out of my daily struggle with this machine; I'm also hoping that this will help me to use the brand new iPod I bought 2 weeks ago that has stopped working with itunes and has not been fixed by any of the solutions I found on the iPod help site - but that's another story).

Here is one of the ineffective results of my exhaustive search. I have found information on how to use the XP backup program found on the Windows XP CD. Unfortunately, however, I don't have that CD because my computer came with XP already installed. I DO have the CD that came with my Toshiba Satellite called "Toshiba: Recovery and Applications / Drivers DVD Instructions".

The problem is that it seems like using this CD will erase all of the new files and programs I have on my computer.

1. What is the absolute best way to backup these select files without having to go out and buy new CDS or other products?

2. How do I go about using that Toshiba CD afterwards?

I've spent hours - even DAYS - trying to find this information. Although I love my computer, the Toshiba site has done little to nothing to make this common process clear.

I thought this would be a simple application, but it's clear that I really don't know what I'm doing - AND that doing this backup and restore is WAY too important for me to play around.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me - I really, really need it.

All the best,

Linnea, American living in Italy

1. Norton Ghost, Nero Backup or other backup utilities, some are free as well.. these type of backup is taking a image snapshot, and some of them can take just snapshots of a certain folder/groups/drives/files (selective backup). Once backed up, you may need to reinstall teh programs or re add their registry keys, file associations etc (if you know what they are, easyer just reinstalling..). Media to backup to can be tape, cd/dvd, anohter hdd, network storage etc...

2. the toshiba cd is just like a windows xp cd, but only for that certain laptop, and does a full wipe and reinstall of the OS plus its customised software and drivers.. if you dont want those customised software, then just use a retail winxp cd and use the licence key on the bottom of the laptop.. but i havn;t tried that before...

you can download the BACKUP utility from the MS site -- it's the same as that
on the CD.

It allows selective backups and as it would occur, I too have a Toshiba LT
with pre-installed XP. The utility runs fine, but as yet have not attempted
*any* form of restore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back