how to block specific website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Row1

hello- how do you block a specific website?
what would be the way to do this that would slow the computer down the least?

it seems like i should be able to do this with my router/firewall, but there are no settings to do this.

i am using a 2wire 'homeportal 1800g'

i don't have software firewall, just hardware/ configuration.

could i go to a newer, more advanced modem and have this ability?

ALmost all firewalls will have the ability to block sites, otherwise how can they do their job effecitvely?
Alternatively, you could block the relevent sites in your IE settings (security tab). Its not hard to figure out once you're in there.

still looking for an answer

k.jacko said:
ALmost all firewalls will have the ability to block sites, otherwise how can they do their job effecitvely?
Alternatively, you could block the relevent sites in your IE settings (security tab). Its not hard to figure out once you're in there.

hi-
i want to block regardless of whether i use IE or firefox.

i looked up info on this specific modem - it does not give the option of blocking a specific website.

You can use hosts file to block access to certain files. By default, in WinXP/Vista hosts file is located in %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc .

Open hosts file in Notepad and add a separate line, where blockedsiteURL.com will be the URL you want to block:

127.0.0.1 blockedsiteURL.com

notice; that's the blue portion of http://blockedsiteURL.com/subdir/objectionable-page.html

and once blockedsiteURL.com is added to the HOST file, ALL pages from that site
will be blocked (without any notice too).

hello-
i will need a couple more clues:
can you tell me the actual directory where this file is?

and can you tell me the actual name of the hosts file?

i have windows xp service pack 2.

Click on Start - Run, copy in there "%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc" (no quotes), press OK. The name of hosts file is "hosts".

thanks! will try this evening.

thanks - will try to run that this evening.

blocking a specific website will cost ya extra, apparently, with the 2wire system thru a dsl provider: from their website:
"Parental Controls is available as an enhanced service through select DSL service providers."

follow-up - worked great.

Hello, Montgomery and others-
this worked well. I edited the host file to block 'myspace'.

my teen stepdaughter has gotten good at developing myspace pages, and friends ask her for help to do theirs. looking for all that garbage they put on their websites, we kept getting viruses - mom was on her side 'my poor baby' etc. for a while, 'we' had said: no myspace.

my stepdaughter worked around that by looking at others at thier home, then helping them develop theirs, then one day we noticed she had her own.

'we' let the myspace rule fall by the wayside the way 'we' do with a lot of rules.

well, so we have gotten a blaster virus a few ties recently. i have cleared u pthe problem.

most recently, she got the computer infected yet again with a 'blaster' virus. she gets up from the computer, tells me ' the internet is broken,' and heads off to watch tv.

no apologies for getting the computer i bought i build i use for managing money working from home etc. computer messed up yet again by her getting the comp infected. no asking for help. she later said she assumed i would just fix it. yet again.

so ,the wife tries to get on the computer. asks me why she can't get the internet. i tell her to ask her daughter. so i get in trouble because i am starting an issue. yeah right. so i call the daughter in the room, and ask her - 'can you tell your mom what is wrong with the computer?'

well, it is fixed now. no more myspace.

thanks again techspot!! y'all are great. this is the best computer tech place on the web.

Good for you! As a parent, I'm sure you're concerned for her safety --
now the challenge is to make her equally concerned!

Sure hope she's bright enough to avoid giving out phone numbers and addresses
less so freak show up some evening at your door step! The hard part is getting
her to stop this when she is not at home, eg: school - friends homes!

Well this will not last for long. Your step-daughter will quickly discover anonymous proxy servers and will be back on myspace in a blink. Do a google search on "blocked myspace" and see how easy it is to bypass the hosts file. It would be best if you talked to her and explained to her what is happening with myspace and why you have blocked it. You may also want to add an Administrative password in the computers BIOS so she just can't start the computer anytime she wants to. You might move the computer out of her room and into a common room. I'd also add a keylogger like WebWatcher and monitor her computer usage. You can also block keywords and websites with WebWatcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back