Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Too much info

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

milky

Setup Remote Desktop on multiple pc's on the same LAN:

By default, Remote Desktop Protocol (for Windows XP and Server 2003) listens on TCP port 3389.
Each PC needs to listen on a different port in order for the Remote Desktop request coming in from the client PC to be forwarded by your router to the proper host PC.

To make a host PC listen on a port other than the default port 3389, you must edit the registry.

:confused: IF YOU'VE NEVER EDITED THE REGISTRY BEFORE BE CAREFUL!
EDITING THE WRONG FILES CAN PERMANENTLY DESTROY YOUR OPERATING SYSTEM! :hotouch:

Run Regedit and go to this key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\
Control\Terminal Server\WinStations\RDP-Tcp

Find the PortNumber subkey and notice the value of 0x00000d3d (3389).
Modify the port number to any unused port (ie-3390 or d3e in hex) and save the new value.
regedit.jpg

Reboot for this change to take effect.

Now you need to configure your router to forward the different port requests to the proper local IP address. For the common Linksys WRT54G router, it should look something like this...

Port Range Forward:
forward.jpg

Port Triggering:
triggering.jpg

That's it! Now just specify the port when you want to connect to a host PC listening on a port other than 3389.
remote.jpg

Oh yeah...make sure you open the new port in your Windows Firewall and any other firewall you might be using!

well I just thought I would vote, I do not need such but was interesting to see how, and who knows some day I might need it and now know where to find it.

So much for the poll question...556 views, 2 votes???
Doesn't anyone have an opinion?

puke:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back