How to change Service Tag on modern Dell laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi !
Can you help me to change new service tag which came with new replacement motherboard to my old one, which came with my laptop.
I know that it's possible to do with some utilities. Svctag.exe doesn't work, may be wrong version or because laptop relatively new. Did try "short pin" method - not working.
Help me please and thank you in advance.

this is a new one. i work on dells all the time but have never had to mess with the service tag. i'm not sure you'll need to do this.

I need to do this also...

I to need to do this.

I rebuilt my laptop using a CD that came with an optiplex desktop as I have misplaced the original. Now when I go to DELL online to get updates etc when it searches for my Service Tag it gets a different tag that relates to an Optiplex Desktop.

If anyone knows how to do this that would be very helpful.

I know engineers have a utility to do this as I've seen them install service tags for mother board replacements.

Paul

This is good if you can boot into DOS somehow. I am on a network and the laptop does not support USB thumb drive boot and does not have a floppy drive. Does anyone know of anyway to replace a service tag number in the bios using a windows utility of somekind? Thank you for you help.

Hello, I also need to change the service tag and downloaded the file NAL suggested but was unsure how to utilize it. I would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Service Tag change.

You need to use SVCTAG.EXE and this software is updated frequently by Dell to cover new models as they are released. I have the latest version, but the file is too large to be attached here. Contact me at the Email I use for this forum email removed

Yea def listen and get help from paragon33 he is who I got mine from and is a great guy. Thanks for stoping by and helping Paragon33, Just trying to repay the help you gave me by spreading it around too :)

Nal

Have at it, Lad. Pass it on as you see fit. The stuff I send was not mine to start and I have no proprietory interest in it, so any one is free to pass it on. The "paper clip"Doc came from a website where it was a freeware download, the DST software is from Dell Disks not readily available to the public, and a few Text files, pics from me and other users are the balance. The other thread where I posted about Passwords and Service Tags is now closed down by the moderators because of its very large size.

Paragon33 said:
Tags is now closed down by the moderators because of its very large size.

Yes mate it has been closed. However, please feel free to open a new thread if you think it`s necessary.

Regards Howard :)

nal said:
Yea def listen and get help from paragon33 he is who I got mine from and is a great guy. Thanks for stoping by and helping Paragon33, Just trying to repay the help you gave me by spreading it around too :)
Nal, The version of Service Tag Software may be an older one. When I first started spreading the software around, the EE-CPB file version for the later Dell Models was at version 4.5. I started getting complaints that it would error out on very late models; I managed to acquire a later version 5.1 on a Dell Techs' CD plus added files and updated my file. If you need that later version for the website you are using, send me an email

Sysbrd Ser #

Can somebody please tell me if each system board has a unique serial number that is coded into the board?

It is in the Bios, but was wondering where it comes from. Is it purely coded or is it hardware?

This is on Dell desktop units

I'm wondering if there are browser pages that pull this information when you post or download. It would seem that if you are a registered owner with Dell, they can not only identify your isp, but also who the computer is registered to.

Does anyone know if Dell shares this information with the government?

Does anyone know how this bios information can be shielded from network traffic?

Dell does not tell people about this information, but it is easy to find.

Ok Dell puts the serial number in the eeprom and on a sticker on the desktop or laptop itself. The way dell knows what your serial number is is a program called eeprom reader that they install on all new dells. if you remove that progam, erase the eeprom and remove the sticker. No one can tell what the old serial was. Now some say they can find out by your mac address. This is true and not true. If you connect with the modem it is true, but if you connect via cable modem or router the only mac address that touches the net is the one from the cable modem or the router. No mac from the computer will pass from the router. If anyone has more info for him please fell free to post it.

hi guys,
im new to this forum but i really need some help here, i bought this dell latitude d610, need to change the asset and ownership tags, any ideas?

Asset.com

Dell has the above program for download as part of their Suspend to Disk software for older models using W98. Asset.com is a separate application on the diskette the download makes. To change an Asset tag you 1st delete the present one with the command asset /d and then reset the one you want with the command asset ******* Note the spaces; they will not work without them.
To erase the Owner's Tag, use the command asset /o /d
To set one, use the command asset /o ****** ++++++

SVCTAG error message on d610

i have an older version of the svctag and am getting an ee*** error 0
and in the line above it says " I know what i am" " what are you" or something like that. I hope your version of 5.1 will help. I am working on a D610
thanks

tech711 said:
i have an older version of the svctag and am getting an ee*** error 0
and in the line above it says " I know what i am" " what are you" or something like that. I hope your version of 5.1 will help. I am working on a D610
thanks
Yeah, that's what it is. Along with a later version of EE-CPB.exe, the SVCTAG.EX software is also a later version, plus 2 additional files SERTAG.EXE and STAG.EXE, and the .inf file has additional motherboard support identifiers. The one I have now still has the EE-CPB 5.1, but SVCTAG.EXE is now 3.4 and the .inf file has a couple more late M'boards added. I can not send it through this forum, but I am sending you my email by private message and will do so there.

i PM'd paragon33 to see if i can get this as well. Anyone had any luck changing the asset w/ the one from dell? The one i d/l did not work.

thnx!

rob

ServiceTag.EXE

I answered your PM. That Dell D/L is for a Dimension 4500: it does not work with laptops as the board identifiers are not in the .inf file. The one I have is for laptops only and has worked with very late model laptops

Sorry to pull up an old thread. Thanks Paragon33! I shot you another PM - hope you don't mind me bugging you. I can't find this ANYWHERE! Found all sorts of other cool utilities along the way - so not all is lost yet.

Also Book'd your website on the p/w recovery - great info!

rob

being new i might have replied the wrong way before to your PM and your response. but email removed
is my email address. still need it if it is possible to get it thanks

kv

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back