How to connect 2 pcs, KVM, router, and internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a simple solution to connecting 2 pcs so that they share all of the same peripherals (keyboard, video, mouse, speakers) and are also networked to the same internet connection (cable or dsl - tbd (currently on dial up)).?

I'm trying to network my 2 home computers and declutter our office. We don't use more than 1 computer at a time but mine is the more powerful and his... well he wants to keep it for whatever reason(s). He has better peripherals, so I thought I'd just hook up my pc to share his peripherals and we want to finally upgrade to high speed internet using either dsl or cable (tbd). I know I can connect the 2 pcs using a kvm switch. And I know I can network the pcs using a router. But if using both, what is the map of the connections?

OR is there such a thing as a KVM switch/router that is an all-in-one solution?

AND I think my computer is missing an ethernet card. Do I need one to connect to the router and kvm switch or would usb ports be sufficient?

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give!

PS - do we need to run the same OS?

His - Win 98. Mine, Win 2000. Yes - both old, but up-to-date from Microsoft and I will probably buy the 2003 upgrade for my pc.

The KVM and the router will be completely independent. No KVM will take the network cables and the router won't care about anything else.

You will have to look harder to find a KVM with audio switching capablities but they do exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back