How to connect an internal dial-up modem to a router?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just want to know how to connect/set-up an internal modem to a router so that i will not use Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) of Windows XP because i heard that it is faster to surf the web using router rather than ICS. What kind of router should i use? Should i use a telephone line (RJ 11) or CAT5 RJ45 cable to connect the modem to the router? From the modem, the "line" port (as indicated) should be used to connect to the router port?

how to set-up the network settings in Windows XP using a router?

Thanks for any reply/comments. :)

You don't hook a router up to an internal telephone modem. You hook it up to your network interface card (that's the bigger looking telephone jack, RJ45). You hook the other side up to either a DSL moden or a cable modem. You'll need to get with your new ISP for exact configs, but usually the default settings are for DHCP.

Since you are using dialup the ICS will not make it any slower than it is. And no, you cannot hook the computers internal modem directly to the router.

There are routers with either builtin dialup modems or an external dialup modem support if you really want to do it without ICS and share the dialup connection.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back