How to connect laptop to TV

By ckolbas ยท 8 replies
Feb 23, 2008
  1. I am extremely new at this so please be basic with me. All I am trying to do is hook up my new tv to my labtop. I bought a vga cord but it didn't put out sound to the tv just video.

    I know that I can go a couple of different ways with this I just don't know how.

    1) I could hook up the labtop sound to my stereo (prefered but I just can't figure out how to do it)

    2) Figure out how to put sound to the tv.

    Any advice would be much apprecited
  2. tuant

    tuant TS Booster Posts: 202

    First make sure your TV has some sort of sound input ports. This iis similar to connecting your dvd player. You need a cable that on one end connects to your laptop sound outpu and the other end [probably RCA] to your tv 'sound input'. I know 'radio shack' or any electronic carry these cables or have some sort of converter
  3. ckolbas

    ckolbas TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

    Ok I know that this is going to sound really...well...stupid but where is the audio out on a labtop? I have HDMI; VGA; and your basic rca cords on the back of the tv. I am pretty literate at hooking up surround sound; dvd players etc to the "old TVS" I am just not sure with the laptop end of it I guess. I have always had a therefore never really played around with a laptop at all. Thanks for the input though maybe I will go and take a ride to radio shack or best buy sometime today!

    Thanks again for the help
  4. kimsland

    kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,523

    That's where the external speakers plug into, just like your desktop. It's usually a green colored plug (next to the mic plug)
  5. ckolbas

    ckolbas TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

    First I want to thank everyone for their time/patience with me. I really appreciate the respnds.

    I tried a basic red/white rca cable and it wont fit into the audio out on my laptop. What is the connector called so that I have rca on one side and the other being the one to plug into the laptop audio out?

    Also I was looking into a vga cord on ebay and they have something listed as:
    4.5' HD DB 15-Pin M-M VGA PC Monitor Cable SVGA Cord. What does the s in vga stand for and is this better than a regular vga cord. They also have this listed: M-to-M 6ft Super VGA SVGA PC Monitor Cable / Cord NEW! Which one one these will produce the better picture quality for hooking up a samsung hd tv?

    Thanks again for the help
  6. tuant

    tuant TS Booster Posts: 202

    I am confident Radio Shack sells this cable b/c I have one at home. So basically on one end is a single headphone adapter and on the end of the cable are two RCA (usually red and white, but doesn't matter what color it is) adapters. If they do not have it, just explain to them what you want and they can probably find the appropriate adapters.

    Not sure if SVGA cables works b/c I never used one before. You can give that a try since it does not cost that much.
  7. ckolbas

    ckolbas TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

    Thanks Taunt for the input. I didn't make it to radio shack today so I will try again tomorrow.

    Anyone else on the vga/svga info?

  8. kimsland

    kimsland Ex-TechSpotter Posts: 14,523


    But I agree just speak to your closest electronics/computer store
    Sometimes you need to exchange it to another one, these local stores will help you there.
  9. ckolbas

    ckolbas TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 16

    Thanks for the input...I ordered the svga cord and I am going to try to get to radioshack tomorrow! :)
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Similar Topics

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...