How to create a network drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

swishsticks

I'm helping a charity tune up its 3-computer network, and would like to improve their ability to share their work.

The network type is Internet Connection Sharing - i.e., it has a gateway computer, which must be online for the other two client computers to access the internet. I don't think there is a router. The OS is XP Home, with SP2 installed. The modem is an Alcatel Speedtouch ASDL. Norton System Works and Norton AV is installed on all PCs, but the firewall on all three PCs is Zone Alarm Free Edition.

As I understand it, the basic options for file sharing are putting folders in the Shared Documents folder, enabling Simple File Sharing for a specific folder, or mapping a network drive to a specific folder.

However, is it possible to create a network drive? I have this at work – instead of viewing a shared documents folder, I go into Windows Explorer, select the network drive (ours is called the I: drive) and there I am able to see all the work of my colleagues, without the need to link to their hard drives or shared folders or anything like that. We don’t save our work on the local hard drive at all, but to this I: drive.

This would be the ideal solution. Can anyone help me out on what it takes to set one of these up, and if it is possible on and ICS network with XP Home Edition.

Thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions.

Swish

In Windows Explorer you have a button on toolbar called "map network drive". You have the same option in the right click context menu of network resources your are browsing.

It is pretty self-explanatory.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back