How to disable Router firewall

Status
Not open for further replies.

beef_jerky4104

My friend and I are trying to set up a couple of Counter-Strike: Source. But because we both have routers we are having trouble doing so. I know that routers have internal or hardware firewalls, so how can we disable these? We are usually very good with hardware, but we've never eally messed with networks and stuff. So we are hardware experts not network experts.

Also our routers are from linsys and netgear.

Thanks in advance.

If you are trying to connect over the Internet then you should just open the proper ports on the firewall. Taking down the entire firewall is a bad idea.

need to read your router manual
intructions a diff for diff makes
just a matter of opening the right ports for http and udp

beef_jerky4104 said:
Also our routers are from linsys and netgear.
These devices do NOT HAVE firewalls per se --
they do have NAT (network address translation) that sort of acts like a firewall in that the external world
can not access the LAN side of the devices.

First find your game documentation and determine which port or ports are required.

Next determine the LAN address for your system behind your router

Now you can port forward $game-port1, thru $game-portx to $your-system-lan-address.

jobeard said:
Now you can port forward $game-port1, thru $game-portx to $your-system-lan-address.

Okay I'll try that, but I don't completely understand what you mean in the quotes. (I do the forwarding though.)

hum; SPI (Statefull Packet Inspection) is a primative feature and ONLY ensures that
the correct sequence of a protocol has been seen to enable the packet to be
presented to the system. As an example, if the source ip addreress+port+protocol is presenting packect 15 currently and
packets 1-14 have not been seen, then there's no sense presenting number 15 -- it's bogus.

a firewall will have controls that allow rules to be defined that ensure:
the source-ip.address+port+protocol is allowed/disallowed,
the destination-ip.address+port+protocol is allowed/disallowed,
and whether the data is logged.

most modern routers, even the cheap ones, provide SPI. Few of them give firewall controls per se.

jobeard are you using software firewall and if so which one?

As for this user problem, he can use the DMZ feature if that's in his or her router to pass-thru the connection router features to allow he or she to play their games on the IP address they're using.. Depending on the router some have Game Mode features might want to check you have that before disabling or turning DMZ.

post#8 above applies equally to hardware devices, eg cisco routers.

Personally, yes, currently I am running Comodo, but have run others previously.
Having a NAT router+SPI, the software FW is very effective for me -- I'm
on a laptop and a hardware router with a FW is not practical moving from site
to site.

Prior to connecting to any hotspot, I change my rule set to disable LAN sharing
and then I can connect w/o concern.

Sounds good, so you disable the LAN sharing when on Wi-Fi correct...

Have you tried R-firewall it's 100% free http://www.r-firewall.com/ I just use what's on the router the 3 filters NAT, SPI, MAC, on yeah the IDection. R-firewall is lighter and tame than Comodo, but does keep out the bad or let out the wrong.. Good prompting system..

Yea, I implement MAC filtering too -- love it in fact :)

My router filters all ten wired connections to my Netgear router, which actually
has only four real systems -- I fake the othe six! This allows me to create
fixed IP addresses (almost like having statics) and it forces and 'guest users'
beyond the MAC managed addresses. Any wireless devices would then also be
guests.

Now my firewall rules for sharing can predict my systems (allowed to share)
vs. a guest user on my lan who should never be shared.

Like I said, at a hotspot, I can change the ALLOW to DISALLOW for this subnet
and I'm safe.

Under Local Security Policy - So you have disable or faked the guest mode on the desktop too.. LAN Manager authentication level should be changed to send NTLM response only.

Re: How to disable firewall on router

Well if its a Netgear Router then go to WAN SETUP & select "Disable Port & Dos Protection"
Or
Go to Security Option & change the rule by Disabling it. Hope this will help you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back