How to enable cdrom drive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ug18

Hi

i'm running windows professional 2000
and i have a cdrom drive that is currently disabled.

i need to enable it however i don't know how to do it.
i'm also not sure how the guy who previously used the pc disabled it.

are there anyways to find out how to?

i tried the group policy and registry but can't find any.
maybe i looked at the wrong things.

can someone pls give me some advice.

thank you very much.

"Disabled" means what? It moves around in a wheelchair?

Starting from ABC..
Does the BIOS see the device?
Can you boot from it?
Do you see it in Device Manager?
Do you see it in my Computer?

I logged in as administrator.

Bios can see the device.
Able to boot from cdrom.
Device manager detects the cdrom drive with a yellow question mark.
Drivers are all installed.
There is no cdrom drive in MY COMPUTER.

As stated previously, the cdrom drive was previously disabled by an administrator.

Edited by Moderator: Removed quote. There`s no need to quote the post directly above your own, unless you`re only replying to a specific section, in which case you would only quote that section. ;)

If the CD ROM is installed on a IDE channel and is properly jumpered Master, Slave or CS (Cable Select)... Make sure both IDE channels are enabled in the bios

BIOS wouldn't see the drive IDE was disabled, would it?!

ug18: Try uninstalling the IDE/SATA controller and the CD-ROM drive in Device Manager and rebooting to let WIndows reinstall the drivers.

"BIOS wouldn't see the drive IDE was disabled, would it?!"

I suppose ug18 could attach the CDROM to the working hard drive IDE channel a primary slave, and see if the CDROM works

Tmagic650 said:
I suppose ug18 could attach the CDROM to the working hard drive IDE channel a primary slave, and see if the CDROM works
The CD-ROM drive and the controller work, since he is able to boot from it?

Go to Device Manager, right click on the CD ROM Drive, you can disable and enable from the menu. If you get a yellow question mark there is obviously a problem. It sounds like a driver issue since we know the hardware is fine (you can boot from CD), highlight the cd-rom and unistall it, then go to control panel and do add/remove hardware or better yet re-boot to see if will re-install correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back