How to Enable Windows Defender’s Secret Crapware Blocker

learninmypc

Windows 10’s antivirus does a good job overall, but it lets crapware through. A hidden setting intended for organizations will boost Windows Defender’s security, making it block adware, potentially unwanted programs, PUPs, or whatever you want to call this junk.

Why You Should Block This Junk
FULL ARTICLE

Several A/V programs can detect/remove PUP style problems,

Avast:
  • File scan, Customize, Actions, { virus, pup } tabs

It may be a stupid reason, but as much as I use to love Avast, I quit using it because of the many pop ups they had telling how many millions of bugs they have stopped or other things I got tired of seeing.

Yeah, but it's free and effective. I would guess they would end for a paid subscription.

@jobeard Well, I don't know if the writer of this article picked the best or worst example of programs he could find with "PuPs" , included. ImgBurn, is probably one of the best burning strategies around, and certainly the best free one.

But yes, it indeed comes with additional software included.. I'm pretty sure anyone who has a lick of sense can get it installed by itself, but you do need to read each screen carefully.

My question is, wouldn't it be better to include a tutorial on how to get it in safely, as opposed to ruining its reputation altogether. I think noobs are prone to wildly polar responses, as opposed to thinking the install through thoroughly as they proceed. I guess I'm saying this is a prime example of the, "throwing the baby out with the bathwater, conundrum".

"Nero" is a prime example of an allegedly legit program which can trash a machine in short order. If you install it with the default settings, it will hijack and rename every file extension on your computer, forcing itself on you as the only burning solution.

(OK, I haven't touched Nero since version 6.0. But I distinctly remember it also leaving about a hundred dead end registry entries after the install).

Last edited:
It may be a stupid reason, but as much as I use to love Avast, I quit using it because of the many pop ups they had telling how many millions of bugs they have stopped or other things I got tired of seeing.
I'm a bit confused as to how much freedom from advertising you think you should be entitled to with a free version of any anti-virus program. If you don't pay, you get pop up ads for the full program. That's with Avira, AVG, and I'm assuming the rest of the freebies.

So, Avira used to be the wost, now it's not so intrusive. Your favorite freebie to insult, AVG", "ain't very good", is probably the least bother, and it's never let me down.. Avast I wouldn't touch, simply by virtue of the relicensing requirement after 18 months. I can imagine that nets you a bit of an ordeal when you try to re-up your license.

As shallow and self serving as it might seem, I limit ther number of machines I regularly use online, by the number of trusted AV programs I can get for free.

Windows AV, "Security Essentials" was discontinued for XP, since it's no longer supported, and for all the reviews I've read about it, it stunk to high heaven anyway.

So yeah, with free AV programs, you do have to, "look the gift horse in the mouth", and suffer through a few ads while you're at it.

Last edited:
@jobeard Well, I don't know if the writer of this article picked the best or worst example of programs he could find with "PuPs" , included. ImgBurn, is probably one of the best burning strategies around, and certainly the best free one.

But yes, it indeed comes with additional software included.. I'm pretty sure anyone who has a lick of sense can get it installed by itself, but you do need to read each screen carefully.

My question is, wouldn't it be better to include a tutorial on how to get it in safely, as opposed to ruining its reputation altogether. I think noobs are prone to wildly polar responses, as opposed to thinking the install through thoroughly as they proceed. I guess I'm saying this is a prime example of the, "throwing the baby out with the bathwater, conundrum".

"Nero" is a prime example of an allegedly legit program which can trash a machine in short order. If you install it with the default settings, it will hijack and rename every file extension on your computer, forcing itself on you as the only burning solution.

(OK, I haven't touched Nero since version 6.0. But I distinctly remember it also leaving about a hundred dead end registry entries after the install).
I have tried finding "UPDATED" tutorials on many free security programs but have had zero luck,

I'll harp once again on the big difference in A/V programs; aka Reactive vs Proactive.

The highest majority of A/V programs are Reactive; the seek to remove infections and virus' already present on the HD. This includes all Microsoft offerings.

I've opt'd for Avast as it is Proactive; attempts to not let the bad guys get to the HD in the first place --
  • an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure
Examining all email attachments and any browser clicks to see what lays beyond is effective and time saving as well. My laptop does need to periodically scan, scan, ... and scan some more only to discover NOTHING has change, thus saving my battery too.

If I need to tolerate a pop-up once/day for that level of real protection, so be it.

....[ ]...It says Great! No issues found. I'm guessing the ATTENTION is bs.
After a full scan using Avast
OK, here's what I'm not getting. Did you start this thread asking a question you already to which you already knew the answer?

First off, from my perspective, Windows 10 is the only M$ operating system to date, which forces you to make an appointment to use your own computer. By this I mean the mandatory updates, which are being downloaded and installed at M$'s convenience, not the convenience of the operator.

As for your scan results, that just looks like you should be using CCleaner more often. "Junk files", are most closely associated with temp files, and 8 GB is indeed, a load of crap. CCleaner also addresses "broken registry entries". You just have to move the big heavy mouse and click the tools column.

I'm in the dark as to what "16 programs slowing down your computer", could actually mean. First, I don't actually have 16 self installed programs on most of my machines., And if I did, I'd just type "cmd" into the search box, then "msconfig" into the still extant in Windows 7 command prompt, and kill what I didn't need starting up.

So, this thread simply looks like it was started to afford you self affirmation your command of Windows AV protocols.

Hey look, I'll tell you whatever you want to hear.

Meanwhile, keep in mind that Windows 10 is an OS I wouldn't touch with Satya Nadella's barge pole. Plus, I see he's already given it to you! (y)

I started it with the Windows Defender article then jobeard mentioned Avast so I decided to try it again, Saw the results at the end of scan & figured it was either their way to get you to buy their product or a false positive. Thank you for your input.

Back