How to find the best hardware prices?

Snowy Commando

To find the best hardware prices, I usually first use a price comparison's site like www.pricewatch.co.uk (or com for US) and www.computerprices.co.uk.

The major flaw in these sites is that they only search the database of sites that submitted themselves to them hence it does not cover every possible price out there on the Web.

Therefore, the next way to find the best price is through referrals from friends and forum aquaintences. For example, every now and then, i find a cheaper price from a link from a forum.

So...

I'm proposing that another sub-forum is setup where we can hunt down the best prices for hardware based on user research.

No offence, but what does the above 2 replies have to do with what I am proposing? - haven't you gone off-topic?

Its an idea where people from the UK can find best prices for other people in the UK and anyone else in the world can do the same for their country.

What would I need with US prices when I live in the UK? - The cost of Insured Air Shipping defeats the object of it all.

Snowy...this isn't to find out best hardware prices, but in the UK you are NOT gonna get any cheaper than www.scan.co.uk I'm presuming u've heard of it before...but if not, just a suggestion:grinthumb

Laterz

Ah...sorry about that Snowy :dead: I didn't actually notice you lived in England :haha:
I wouldn't say off-topic because the sites I posted might be helpful to the American members of the boards looking for deals too ;)

Not to be argumentative Snowy, but you didn't specify posting only UK-based bargain hunter/sellers in your original topic, so that is probably the reason you recieved non-UK suggestions.

Just a thought...

Originally posted by Rick
Not to be argumentative Snowy, but you didn't specify posting only UK-based bargain hunter/sellers in your original topic, so that is probably the reason you recieved non-UK suggestions.

Just a thought...

Thats why I said there should be sub-forums for different continents for example, where users can find best prices for US, Europe etc.

I would think one subforum where all the threads specified what continent the site posted was for would work better.

Originally posted by Snowy Commando
Thats why I said there should be sub-forums for different continents for example, where users can find best prices for US, Europe etc.
I disagree, you could just specify in a post whether its for a specified continent or everyone. We don't need to add a subforum just for intra-contenent information, that pulls apart the international community that we have here.
Maybe I got the wrong impression on what you meant here, so if I did then what I just said doesn't apply in this situation.

Just my thoughts:

While I do agree that I search for the cheapest price, I don't think it would be right to the sponsors of this (free to us) Bulletin Board to have a forum/thread devoted to finding companies that will undercut their prices. Kinda biting the hand that feeds us, ya know? :rolleyes:

I can see replying to an individual in a post with an 'other than a sponsor/advertiser' supplier, but not a forum for it. ;)

Have a good one all,

Back