How to get tightVNC to work with DYNDNS

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmatthee

Help me!!!
Can't get tightVNC to work with Dyndns!!

I've done all the port forwarding things and stuff on my home and office router. 5500, 5800 and 5900. I also did the dyndns registration and installed the dyndns updater thing and that works fine and also did the test from the dyndns site. What do I type in the viewer window to connect to my pc from my office? and if I have more than one pc on my home network how do I specify witch one to connect to?

You type your public IP or hostname in the hostname box..

You don't seem to know what you are doing. Instead of blindly trashing around, do things step by step. You need only the 5900 port if you are going to use the VNC Viewer program.

Install VNC on your computer, then try connecting to it from another computer on your home network. There is no point in trying to do anything else if this doesn't work.

Forward the port on your router. Try connecting to VNC using your public IP address from another network. Preferrably a home network where you can be sure that outbound connections are not limited.

Do the same with the hostname you registered with DynDNS.

Only now try to connect from your office.

To connect to several PCs, you have to forward different ports. A la if you forwarded port 5900 to host 192.168.1.2:5900, where .1.2 is your first PC, then forward port 5901 to host 192.168.1.3:5900, where .1.3 is your second PC etc etc.

PS
I do not recommend using the default port (5900) - this will scream out to everyone that you are running VNC. Instead, use ports above 50000 that are reserved for "private" use.

I really, really recommend using some sort of encryption - either a VNC solution that has encryption capabilities (UltraVNC) or some sort of tunnelling (SSH or VPN). VNC is unencrypted by default and anyone that is able to eavesdrop on your connection can sniff out your VNC password, all the image, mouse and most importantly keyboard actions (all the passwords you type!) etc etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back