How to get VPN work faster?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have signed up a VoIP service and service provider sent me a "Linksys SPA2102" (BOX) that has router function build in. Below is setup that works after several trials:
(1) select BOX's "DHCP,PPPOE" option
(2) hook on BOX's internet port to DSL modem's ethernet port
(3) hook on BOX's ethernet port to internet port of DSL router, Airlink ar420w
(4) hook on ar420w's LAN port to PC

I can go internet on PC. But VPN to remote PC would be slow enough to drop the session.

My question:

(1). How to tune to get VPN not too slow?
(2). Should I disable DHCP of ar420w?
(3). If yes on (2), will BOX's DHCP server assign IP thru ar420w's internet port, then bypass to ar420w's LAN port to PC that connected to? As I know, ar420w's web menu does not have "bridge" option, only "gateway" and "router".
(4). Can I connect BOX's "ethernet" port to ar420w's LAN port directly to let BOX's DHCP assign IP to PC that connected to ar420w's LAN ports?

Thanks so much for clear my fuzzy!

fuzzyfuzzy

Well, VPNs speed are controlled by the speed of your internet. As far as the DHCP, I would turn it off if something else is assigning the addresses. But you will always want your "Router" to be the one to assign addys. As far as your 4th question, yes you can have the BOX's ethernet go into a lan on the ar420w's port, then turn off DHCP from the ar420w.

How slow is slow? Up from certain network speeds, VPN speed is limited by the CPU on the VPN device, not by the network. Read the Linksys specs and see what the rated max VPN throughput is.

gavinseabrook's suggest is working

Thanks for commenting. After tried following, I think my VPN connection is acceptable:

(1) Login ar420w and turn off DHCP server and restart ar420w router
(2) Connect BOX's "ethernet" port to ar420w's LAN port directly to let BOX's DHCP assign IP to PC that connected to ar420w's LAN ports. Now BOX's DHCP will assign IP to PC connected to ar420w's LAN ports

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back