How to Hide a Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Friends.... I m a newbie here

I hope i m posting my query on right place... I m using windowsXP SP2 & I have made 2 users one is me (administrator) and 1 other ... I want someone login from other My E: Drive will be invisible or password protected.

In Brief I dont want anybody else to see my E: Drive... is there any way to do this.../

need help!

Thanks in advance....

Assuming that the other user is not an administrator, simply remove the drive letter from the E: drive in Disk Management when you want to hide it and put the drive letter back when you want to access it.

This wouldn't "hide" the drive of course - the thing would be visible, only unusable.
If you have formatted E: as NTFS, set the permissions on it so that only you can do anything with the contents. Anyone else trying to browse the drive would get an "access denied message".

Are you using Windows XP Pro? If so, you could try the following:

-Disable Simple File Sharing (open My Computer - Tools - Folder Options - View - Scroll down and uncheck Simple File Sharing)

-Right-Click the drive you want to secure - Properties - Security Tab

Take out The Administrators group, and add only your username. Apply "Full Control" Permissions.

Add "Users" Group and apply "Deny" permissions.

When the second user tried to access the drive, he will be prompted with a "Access Denied" message.

You can hide the drive through gpedit.msc, but I don't recommend it. Do it this way and it will be secure.

It will work provided you are running WinXP Professional.
WinXP Home Edition does not allow you to turn off Simple File sharing, therefore you cannot explicitly set permissions.

Provided you are running "XP PRO", you should be able to do the above mentioned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back