How To Install A Slave Hd

Status
Not open for further replies.
PLEASE HELP ME, I'M REALLY A NEWBIE IN COMPUTERS, KNOW HOW TO WORK WINDOWS AND STUFF AND THATS ABOUT IT. WHEN I BOUGHT MORE RAM I WAS ABLE TO SIMPLY INSTALL IT MYSELF, HOWEVER NOW I GOT A KINDA OLD HD THAT I'D LIKE TO SET UP AS A SLAVE DRIVE, HOWEVER IM NOT REALLY SURE WHERE TO PUT IT, WHERE THE DATA HOLES OF THE DRIVE GO. I KNOW ABOUT THE "STOPPERS" THAT YOU SET TO PUT THE SELECTED HD IN SLAVE MODE. ALSO DO I NEED TO DO ANYTHING IN WINDOWS (I HAVE WIN XP PRO) OR IN BIOS(MOST LIKELY).

THIS OLD HD (3.5 GB) I GOT FROM AN OLD PC THAT A FRIEND OF MINE THREW OUT AND I ASKED HIM TO KEEP IT SO I COULD USE SOME OF ITS PARTS. FROM IT IT ALSO HAS A SOUNDCARD CREATIVE LABS MODEL CT4500, I HAVE THE INTEGRATED AC97 IN MY MOTHERBOARD, WHICH I HATE, WOULD THIS CARD BE A GOOD IDEA TO INSTALL???? AND IF SO HOW??

PLEASE DO HELP ME, I'D REALLY APPRECIATE IT.

Welcome To TechSpot

Apart from setting the jumper on the hard disk (stoppers :) ) to "SLAVE" or "CABLE SELECT", you might have to go into the bios after connecting the disk to the IDE connector that your "MASTER" disk is connected to. You bios will probably have an auto detect feature for detecting IDE devices. Run this auto detect and it should pick up the new drive. You shouldn't have to do anything else. You may not even have to go into the bios. It might pick the disk up automatically anyway. Just don't plug it in or unplug it when the machine is on. IDE drives are usually not hot swappable :)

I'm not sure about the quality of the sound card, but usually they utilise the CPU less and don't suffer from the crackling and noise from interference that onboard sound often suffers from.

Hope this helps....

I believe that sound card is an SB AWE64 which is most likely ISA.
I'm not sure but I'd think because of the age of that card, the AC97 may be better than the card. I looked it up and found some selling for $12 if that is any idea.

ALL CAPS.. AHHH!!

Maybe I wouldn't feel so offended if it looked more like this:
Please Help Me, I'm Really A Newbie In Computers, Know How To Work Windows And Stuff And Thats About It. When I Bought More Ram I Was Able To Simply Install It Myself, However Now I Got A Kinda Old Hd That I'd Like To Set Up As A Slave Drive, However Im Not Really Sure Where To Put It, Where The Data Holes Of The Drive Go. I Know About The "Stoppers" That You Set To Put The Selected Hd In Slave Mode. Also Do I Need To Do Anything In Windows (I Have Win Xp Pro) Or In Bios(Most Likely).

This Old Hd (3.5 Gb) I Got From An Old Pc That A Friend Of Mine Threw Out And I Asked Him To Keep It So I Could Use Some Of Its Parts. From It It Also Has A Soundcard Creative Labs Model Ct4500, I Have The Integrated Ac97 In My Motherboard, Which I Hate, Would This Card Be A Good Idea To Install???? And If So How??

Please Do Help Me, I'd Really Appreciate It.

Ahhhh... Much better. :)

You can try the sound card.. I think you'll have fewer compatibility problems with your current card, but that old ISA P.O.S probably uses less CPU power than your AC97. :)

If you are really interested in geting a soundcard, there are many cheap yet god soundcards out there. If i were you i would stay away from the old soundcard. Its not worth the trouble, who knows what compatibility issues are there.

I recommend against cable select, think it only works properly with a special IDE cable anyway.
Just look on the hard drive for the jumper settings you refered to as stoppers. Set the one you want as slave to slave. Then just plug in the 2nd spot on the ide cable. Boot up and there you go. Of course hook up the power :) but I figured you would have guessed that.

Its easy. You jumper one device on the cable master, and the other slave. provided you follow the correct jumper settings, which should be marked on the drive, all should be well. you connect power and then go into your BIOS and check that the HDDs were detected.

The primary master HDD is the drive that the BIOS will try and boot an operating system from....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back