How to install XP if there are error copying messages during installation

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojam

I have 2 Spare Compaq deskpros. One of them has been giving me problems for some time now. The other works as smooth as ever. I decided to take a 30gb Maxtor fireball, format it then install XP onto it from the PC that has been giving me problems. It starts up installing fine until the part where it starts copying files. It starts giving problems by about 27% or while it is copying "Drivers.cab". It feels like the hundredth time that i have attempted to install XP. I have used a win 98 boot disk and tried it from there. I have copied the I386 files and tried it like that.Nothing seems to work....so i disconnected the harddrive and connected it to the Compaq that works. It installed with no problem. I need some advice from anybody who knows how to fix it or has some experience with this sort of problem....Very much Appreciated

Are you using the same XP disk that is used by the working computer, or did you buy a new XP disk. You can't have a single copy of XP on two computers, without purchasing a license, for it, from Microsoft. If this is true, I would stop what you are doing, because, you could end up with no XP at all.

The better solution, for you, would be to zero out the hard drive that was giving you problems, fdisk it, format it, and reinstall win98 on it.

Here is where you can get ZeroDisk to zero out your hard drive: http://www.safesite.com/product.download.php?id=44513&url=zerodisk.zip&itn=1&SiteID=digibuy

It may take hours, to zero out the drive, but well worth it.

See i have 2 licensed cds of XP corporate....but the cd itself isnt the problem. Neither is the Maxtor 30 gb fireball because i moved that hd to the working computer and test installed XP. It worked...but i need a solution that will somehow get the messed up computer to install XP to the Fireball.

I think what you may have, in the bad computer, is some other hardware issue that interupts your install. That is if I am reading this right, because you say, you installed it, to the hard drive, on the other computer. I am suspecting that you have a bad stick of RAM in the bad computer.

another question is how do i use zero disk....do i run it through dos off a floppy or what?

Worked!!!!!

I really appreciate it...the problem is solved....Ive never had hardware problem ever and so that was the last thing on my mind....i found a new stick of ram and installed XP successfully...once again thanks a bunch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back