How to keep from getting attacked during XP reinstall

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimflint1

How do I keep from getting viruses during a reinstall, when I have to download the critical updates?

When I install I keep my network connection unplugged.
I install Windows XP with SP2, anti-virus software and a software firewall (along with my router firewall).

I created my own XP install CD with SP2 already integrated.

You can sometimes download the A/V updates manually (ahead of time) and apply those before you go online.

Here's a cool site that shows you how to create an XP disc with the latest patches applied already:
http://ryanvm.msfn.org/

As long as the Windows Firewall is ON (or 3rd party firewall off a CD),and you only go to the update site,ther shouldn`t be much risk.

or you can just install everything like normal and before you start adding more programs/files ghost it on to a cd.... read it somewhere on this forum.. cant remember where

I always make a drive image before I go online for the first time. Having an image makes the re-install time so much faster. I can re-install a clean OS in less than 2 minutes using Ghost.

That's one thing I most certainly need to get before the next time I have to reinstall. It's been a pain in the rear, but not because of attacks, but because all the stuff I put in the "oldstuff" file, isn't working when I try to install it (programs and such), like some parameter or another is missing. I guess it's reinstall everything piece by piece in order to get it all to work. Thanks for all your suggestions--I ended up with some spyware, but I think, no viruses.

well programs will need to be reinstalled anyways, unless you manage to make a clean registry backup (with no dodgy keys like spy/ad/malwares) then it would work, but you'd still have to setup the shortcuts to each exe....
my setup here is i got c: for windows system, just windows.. nothing else on it (exept maybe updates and temp files), then d: for apps/programs/games then e: and f: for data and media respectively. that way if i loose windows becaues of some freaky thing i still have everything else, except maybe the install logs and start menu and registry

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back