How To Link My Two Laptops To My Desktop????

I am running a desktop with dsl and a westell modem which requires the desktop to be pluged into it via an eithernet cord, my two laptops sinc. up to it automatically via internal wireless internet cards. Now what my problem is, that i need to link all three computers up to each other, i want to be able to access my desktop from either of my laptops. I dont want to run cords all over my house either, isnt their away to do it with my internet connection or something? all the help on this matter will be greatly appreaciated. thanks :)

Are you're saying that the modem is wireless and the laptops can already connect to it or the laptops connect to the desktop?

Eitherway, I would get a wireless router and connect
modem -- router -- cable -- desktop
.......................+- wireless -- (2) laptops

access to the desktop is created by enabling File/Print Sharing on specific folders (like \Docs & Settings\your-login\My Documents )
and don't forget to enable access via your firewall settings
(ports 139, 445 from the local lan side)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ to u up there

my modem that my desktop is wireless, and my two laptops sinc up w/o any additional equiptment. i have clicked file sharing and whatnot, and i cant figure out what to do from there how do i get my desktop to show up in network connections on my laptop? i was told by someone that i didnt need to purchase any extra supplies, i just cant figure out how to do it with what i have on my computers already. :approve:

microsoft guidelines suggest a router. All routers will have two sides; the public WAN and the private LAN.

The WAN side must not allow direct access to your system(s) and the NAT
feature will make this work for you.

You then enable File/Print sharing and allow the Windows Firewall to allow it also
on all systems.

Be aware however, if you enabling File/Print sharing w/o a NAT router, the
internet worm(s) will eat your data.

*always* keep your firewall active and if you can't get it to do what you want,
ask question or get one that has the features you need.

Back