How to re-install Windows on a dual boot Win/Linux computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

My computer is a Windows server 2003 / Linux FC3 dual boot system. Due to a failure in adding the Domain Controller server role to the computer within Windows server 2003, I forcefully deleted the unsuccessful DC role with support tools. After that, the Windows server could no longer work normally, so I had to upgrade (re-install) the windows system with the original installation CD. The re-installation needs a reboot in a short while but unfortunately after rebooted the installation process did not go on because the CD could not be read (though the CD and its drive are in perfect condition). I logged onto the original problem system again and tried to re-start the upgrade, but I was unable to do so, the system prompted "out of memory". Restarting the problem system with approaches of Safe Mode, Debugging Mode or whatever was of no help either.

It seems that I have to re-install the windows server 2003 from a pure startup, say, from the bootable installation CD directly, other than upgrading the system from the Windows desktop. But I will be risking destroying the Linux boot sector with such a fresh installation of Windows server.

How should I fix the problems of Windows Server 2003 without making any trouble to Linux? Please give me advice.

Moiaussi

YES, but you may have to regenerate the Linux boot environment, and certainly regenerate your dual boot config.

go into linux.

ensure that /etc/grub.conf (or /etc/lilo.conf) has boot loader installed to bootsector of / and NOT the mbr.

reinstall grub (or lilo)

dd if=/dev/hda3 of=bootsect.lin bs=512 count=1

(where hda3 is your linux / partition)

(save the bootsect.lin file for later)

reinstall windows

copy the bootsect.lin file to c:\

edit c:\boot.ini to have this line on the end:

c:\bootsect.lin="Linux"

If you need to get into Linux (but can't boot it) boot from installation CD, type linux rescue at first prompt. Mount your / partition manually, then type:

chroot /mnt/sysimage

where /mnt/sysimage was the mount point you mounted / of linux to.

You will then be able to access your system as if it were sort of running, be able to edit and reinstall things, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back