How to set up wireless laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyd78

I'm a little confused, please bear with me. Would like to purchase a laptop that uses window media center 2005 edition. I have DSL on 2 desktops using XPpro. I have a wired system with router connecting both pcs. Question is can I somehow hookup my laptop so it alone can get a wireless connection or do I have to get a wireless router and wireless cards for both pcs and the laptop? Please advise what I need to get if I can set it up the way I just explained. Thankyou very much.

tommyd78 said:
I'm a little confused, please bear with me. Would like to purchase a laptop that uses window media center 2005 edition. I have DSL on 2 desktops using XPpro. I have a wired system with router connecting both pcs. Question is can I somehow hookup my laptop so it alone can get a wireless connection or do I have to get a wireless router and wireless cards for both pcs and the laptop? Please advise what I need to get if I can set it up the way I just explained. Thankyou very much.

So everything at the moment is wired and you want just the laptop to be wireless?

Ok so you get a wireless access point and plug it into the router, this then converts the wired side to wireless so your laptop can use the router and the DSL connection.

Your PC's will still be wired but you can buy wireless cards for them and make them wireless as well

In time you can replace the router with a wireless router and then do away with the wireless access point altogether

Hope this helps

Jud

if you have a router with two PCs, why would you want to go wireless? Most routers have at least three ports. Wireless is less secure.

Because I want to buy a laptop and be able to go downstairs and sit at the dining table and work and also my wife will see me more. I can sit there with her while she is watching tv and I can do my thing. Both will be happy. My DSL connection is upstairs with both pcs.

Tedster said:
if you have a router with two PCs, why would you want to go wireless? Most routers have at least three ports. Wireless is less secure.

For a techspot Addict, that's a very narrow minded view, albeit there is more of a chance of a security breach using wireless, if the user does not set the system up correctly, however if set correctly then the chance of a breach dwindles to practically zero.

And lets face it, it's hardly likely the poster has things on his PC worth pinching.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back