How to stop a running program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindy

i've been trying to delete a kazaa program from my windows xp but i can't
because it says that that program is running and i don't know what to do.
I'm very new to the computer game.

Welcome to TechSpot Forums

Start Task Manager by either
- press Control + Shift + Esc
- Right-click on taskbar and select Task Manager from popup menu
- Click Start, select Run..., type taskmgr
- Hit Control + Alt + Del, select Task Manager

In Task Manager's "Processes" list, look for Kazaa, select it and click "End Process" in the lower right corner.

Stop a program from running

I've been trying to delete a program from my windows xp but I can't because It says that the program is still running and I don't know what to do . My computer is running very very slow . I'm very new to my computer.
Thank you Evelyn

There are a number of posts dealing with this kind of problems, you probably have spyware or something like that running. Check the "Read: " threads on top of Security and the Web for more information.

Many harmful applications rely on Task Manager's inability to end applications with certain names though..

copy and paste this code to notepad. change where it says notepad.exe to the application name that you want terminated.
save this file with a name like whatever.vbs and then double click on it to terminate the process.

strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
& "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")

Set colMonitoredProcesses = objWMIService. _
ExecNotificationQuery("select * from __instancecreationevent " _
& " within 1 where TargetInstance isa 'Win32_Process'")
i = 0

Do While i = 0
Set objLatestProcess = colMonitoredProcesses.NextEvent
If objLatestProcess.TargetInstance.Name = "notepad.exe" Then
objLatestProcess.TargetInstance.Terminate
End If
Loop

Set program acces & defaults add & remove components

I have a program running on my set program access & defaults add & remove windows components I tryed to cancle it so it would not run anymore but it will not stop , when I go onto to windows components add and remove it's telling me, another copy of this setup program is still running , please waite until the other setup is complete before attempting to run this program again . But I can't get it to do anything it will not complete it thing I guess I tryed to cancle it before it was all done because I change my mine on it . Please can you help me with at . I have a Viruses protection on my computer I have pc-cillin Internet Security . Thank you

You should try booting into Safe Mode (by pressing F8 during boot up) and uninstall it from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back