How to stop desktop from jumping on wireless network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

roseypeach

I have my wireless network setup for my laptop but my desktop jumps to the wireless network. I know this is a common problem but is there a way to keep it from doing this or forcing it to connect on the wired connection and if so, how?

should be a fairly simple fix, go into start menu/connect to/right click on wireless connection/disable.

I've actually done that but once I disable it I can't connect to the wired connection. Ya think my network card could be the culprit?

the typical solution is to DISABLE the interface to be avoided before you attempt
to get a connection.

it sounds like its the network, because you have your pc hooked up through LAN right and laptop on wireless.?

Right. So what do you think? I've had this problem for a while now I just got fed up with it. I'm not a big networking person my experience is limited to building pcs and software problems.

Can you describe by brand and model what you have now for your connection?
Does your system have a cable modem or router with both wireless and ethernet wired sockets.
It might be useful to uninstall or remove all the networks stuff, then reconnect just your hardware cable modem or whatever you have. Reboot, then run the install disk for your wired hardware and get it working properly.
Once it is correct, add enable the wireless setup...
This may be far off, until we know what equipment you have and perhaps your provider as well.

roseypeach said:
Right. So what do you think? I've had this problem for a while now I just got fed up with it. I'm not a big networking person my experience is limited to building pcs and software problems.

Go into the BIOS (system brain and heart) and disable wireless there. Also make sure the Wired device is enabled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back