How to stop windows xp from auto recreating folders?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vacinden

This question must have been asked many many times but I could find nothing like it when I searched on "recreating folders"

Does anybody know how to stop windows xp from recreating standard folders like "my music, my pictures?" I have a dutch version of windows xp but now I have 2 of the same type of auto recreating folders only in different languages. I would like to know how I can delete all of these auto-recreating folders and especially how to stop windows from recreating them. I think it would be good for my system to have a minimum of folders.

Greetings from the Netherlands and may you have a good day!:eek:

This looks like you have a Dutch WinXP and another (English?)language Office. Office creates its own language folders if different from the language of the OS. You can set Office to use whatever folders in e.g Word/Tools/Options/File Locations.
Do the same for Excel etc.
Hope this helps

Yeah thanks it helps a bit.

But I am more interested in deleting the standard folders and just everything standard installed I do not need.

I am not talking about the reg hack to get red of some standard applications as clipbook and such but the really **** folders windows keeps recreating.......

:confused:

Get the TweakUI files from Microsoft (free from their website). With them you can change the names and/or locations of a lot of system folders.

En als ik jou was, zou ik dat nederlandse XP vervangen door een engelse versie, dat lost al je problemen op!

In Windows2000 in the Registry there are these keys to be found:
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
HKEY_USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1220945662-1788223648-839522115-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Shell Folders
HKEY_USERS\S-1-5-21-1220945662-1788223648-839522115-1000\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

In there you will find the folder-names you are looking for.
Assuming these also exist in XP, you could experiment a bit by deleting e.g. "My Pictures" in all of them and see what happens when you restart XP.
Either take a Restore-point, or backup your registry before you do this.

Let us know what the result is please?

I forgot to tell you to also delete the corresponding folder(s) from your HD before you restart.

What I did.....

I used Tuneup Utilities Registry editor because if you search something it gives you all the keys with your "searched words" in it in one screen.

Exported my registry to blabla.reg on d fat32 drive.

Searched with the Tuneup Utilities Registry editor on Shell Folders.
Found 14 corresponding key folders.

Deleted all "my pictures, mijn afbeeldingen,my video, mijn video, my mysic, mijn muziek, common pictures,common video common music " from the key folders. I deleted the keys with these names and thus their values.

Deleted all the corresponding folders from my harddrive. The ones in documents and settings\administrator and documents and settings\all users

Rebooted my system and looked around on the hd to see if the folders where recreated.

They are not being recreated!

Good! thanks.

No for some other folders to reg delete. For instance the standard "koppelingen" in my favorites in the iexplorer.

Hmmzz losing track of the changes I am making.....do not do everything at once.............. <---!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back