How to watch tv on pcand capture it? (newbie)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vlatko

hello!

so basically, i would like to be able to watch tv on my pc, and of course capture somthing from time to time on my hard disk.

could someone explain what i need? i did some researching and i found out my graphics card can capture from tv(correct me if i'm wrong cause i'm new to this thing)

my specs are:
>>my video card<<
amd athlon 3500+
abit an8 sli
1gb ram
wd caviar sata 250gb
seageate 120gb

so basically i used a s-video cable and connected one end to my tv and the other to the video-in port of my VIVO cable which i recieved with my video card. i installed the nVidia wdm capture drivers, and the latest graphcis card drivers with no problems.

i tried using the windows movie maker to capture something, i selected my capture device nVidia wdm but all i get is a black screen...

can anyone help a newbie at this? is there some more cables, hardware i have to get? if so, what can you recomend?

thanks a lot in advance. :)

vlatko said:
Hi

i used a s-video cable and connected one end to my tv and the other to the video-in port of my VIVO cable which i recieved with my video card.
Are you sure your TV is outputting anything through S-Video? It's usually used the other way around.

You need a VCR's video out and a composite in to the video card as VCRs don't output in s-video. I have a TV wonder and that works good. I also have a all in wonder 9600, but kind of sad not to be able to upgrade video so it's doing nothing now. :(

ok, everything works fellas, much obliged. ;)

but i got some other questions. :) can i watch for example one channel on my pc and a other on the tv? i am using a program called d-saler and it's really good, but i can't seem to figure out that option, if it exsists at all, or is possible with my configuration?

if i can't could you perhaps say what hardware/software i should get?

thanks!

You can do it with the above program if the signal goes from the wall to your computer and then to the TV, not your TV first.

no the antenna is in the tv, i don't have a plug for it on my pc. so the antenna is plugged to the tv and the pc to the tv via s-video cable.

would i be able to do it with this:

TV tuner + FM card, V-GEAR Cyclone-TV, PCI
PCI
10-bit Conexant 2388X dekoder
720x576
MPEG-4 and DivX
time-shift
Smart Image enhacement tech.

i can get a pretty good price on this card. is it any good? i don't need anything pro, just that i can record from the tv without having to watch the channel i am recording from.

Because the TV receives the Data first, you can't do this. The only way to have two channels on just the TV is if you have cable to two TVs or digital cable that supports PinP. You are running an antenna, which fails, and the TV receives it first, which also fails. If you had cable coming to your computer first, or MAYBE if the antenna was plugged into your computer first could you do that. I think you're pretty screwed on the dual channel thing. You can still record TV if you have TV out from your TV though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back