How to wipe a sata hard drive without an ooerating system

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have just bought a new computer with no operating system.
AMD Athlon 64 with ASUS motherboard
200gig sata hardrive

I started an intsallation of a copy of XP professional but it asked for xp with service pack 2 which i don't have on that disc.
I reset the computer but now when i turn it on it comes up with the message 'Error loading operating system_'

I have bought a new and legal version of xp home with sp 2 but i can't get past this error message.

I think i have to somehow wipe the sata hard disc from bios but i don't know how to.

Can anyone help please

Thanks
Tim

2 ways you can do this...
1) Travel to bootdisk and DLoad a WinME bootdisk if you have web acess on another machine. Extract the zip to a floppy, then boot up in the new machine...
At the A: prompt type format C: and hit enter. This will prepare the drive for an OS When it is finished remove the floppy and re-boot with the XP CD in and you will now be able to run setup.
2) Determine who's SATA drive and go to the manuf. site and DLoad their HDD utility. This will also prepare the drive and you should be good to go.

patio. :cool:

You have to tell your computer to boot from the CD before trying to boot from the hard drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back