CobaltViper

Case: Antec Nine Hundred € 99,98
PSU: Zalman ZM600-HP 600W (ATX, Heatpipe)) € 99,58
Motherboard: GigaByte GA-P35-DS3P € 124,59
Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 € 250,28
GPU: Asus EN8800GT,1024MB, GDDR3, PCI Express x16 € 243,02
Ram: 2 x Corsair 2GB (4x1GB) PC6400, CL4 € 95,68
CPU Fan: Scythe Infinity SCINF-1000 € 39,76
HDD: 2 x Western Digital Caviar RE WD2500YD, 250GB (7200rpm, SATA, 16MB) € 111,82
DVD-burner: Samsung DVD-Writer 20x Super-WriteMaster, Black + Software € 25,50
Cooling Paste: Arctic Silver 5 Premium Silver Compound 3,5g € 4,11

Total: € 1170,02

Pretty average if you ask me. Of course, I can't compare it to my system. I'm still running an Athlon XP! Far better than my setup but pretty mainstream for today's standards. Not even an SLi build. If I spent over a grand on a system I would make sure I was using an SLi (or crossfire) setup...

The mobo I'm getting is SLi compatible, but getting two 8800GT's or even GTX's seems like a waste at the moment because it shouldn't be too long before the 9000 series is released. I think I'll update to one of those later.

Then why even buy one 8800 now? If you plan on upgrading to the next breed of card, then wouldn't setting up your system now be the waste of money? I mean, if you want to play more recent games (such as BioShock or Crysis) then that setup will suit you fine.

I'm buying this system now, because there will always be a newer/cheaper part on the horizon. If I wait for a new series of video cards it is quite probable that there will be a new CPU/type of RAM that will be better coming out soon. Because computers are such a fast developing technology there will be always something to wait for, coming out soon. And I plan on upgrading, not as soon as it is possible but when it is necessary or maybe not at all, I might just save up for a new build.

Well, it's up to you then. Seems like an awful lot of money to spend though. I'm pretty far behind the newer technology (about 4 years) but I still manage. I was planning on building a new system but I decided to stay with this one. I still running a single core system on PC3200 RAM; with a AGP 8x card. Even with my older hardware, I can still run some of the newer games with decent performace. I just think it costs far too much to setup a more recent system. Good luck with yours anyway.

The 600W PSU is not needed. I think the Corsair VX450W will be enough for your system. The CPU is 45nm so it doesn't pull more power than a 65nm C2D chip. That leaves your card as the main power-hungry component, and I think the 33A on the VX450W's single +12V rail will be sufficient for it. Also, consider the Thermalright 120-Ultra as a better alternative to the Scythe cooler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back