HP Garbage-ware

Status
Not open for further replies.

herr5407

Heya!

Is anyone familiar with the garbage HP puts on computers?

In particular, HP Boot Optimizer. I really seriously doubt this program does anything but eat system resources. I'm trying to clear out a friend's computer of all this crap (which unfortunately comes back at every "fresh" install with the recovery disks).

I don't even know what to keep or what to delete anymore. In the firewall exceptions, there are literally 20 HP exceptions which I find completely ridiculous. Not is it only hard to control what's allowed through the firewall, it's hard to decipher what malware may be allowing itself to access to system in the pile of "legit" HP garbage.

So, anyone has any ideas? or seen any websites that are dedicated to this sort of cleaning?

I need to get rid of it so I can use Ghost on it so avoid these awful programs.

Just delete all of them? None of that OEM-bundled stuff is needed (except the hardware drivers).

Do you have recovery disks or a recovery partition? I know that newer HP recovery partitions actually contain a Windows XP ISO image that you can burn to a standalone CD. (You also need to burn the HP recovery CD - Windows wants to see it before installing).

Actually the PC has both. There is 3 recovery DVDs and a recovery partition.

I'll poke around and look for an ISO in there somewhere. The computer is fairly new so it should be in there.

Thanks.

EDIT: I just figured out how to open the protected partition but there is no iso file in sight. I might just image the recovery partition and then try deleting the installations of the programs I don't want to see if that will prevent installation without corrupting the process.

use crap cleaner to remove pre-installed bloatware
- Are you talking about Ccleaner? I use Ccleaner (formerly known as crap cleaner) to clear out temporary files, cookies, cached objects etc etc. I'm pretty sure that won't do anything to pre-installed software. Are you referring to a different program than I am? because that would be a great program to find.

I have a HTPC that happens to be an HP and there is a TON of worthless stuff that comes included. I'd like to get rid of what I don't want too.

There used to be a program that I think was for Dell computers that would remove all the mess, but I can't remember what it was called. It has been a year or 2 since I last saw or heard of it mentioned, wonder if it would work on HPs.

Mickzer, Thank you for pointing me towards the Holy Grail of programs for this purpose.

This is exactly what I was looking for and I'm going to give it a shot right now.

Thanks a lot!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back