HP Pavilion a350e - Frustrated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, to start I've google searched and searched the forums till my fingers are bleeding. I've tried every solution that I've read about and I'm still not getting anywhere which is why I need to see if any of you PC Gods have an idea of what to try next. I've read the NO POST guide and that didn't get me anywhere either.

Here is what's going on. I have a HP Pavilion a350e with a A7N8X-LA mother board that was running fine one minute but then I turned off the power and it's only turned on once since then but only for a couple minutes before freezing up and never turning on again.

1st symptom: Light on power supply blinks non-stop when I plug the power supply into the motherboard. If I unplug the power supply from the mother board the light stops blinking and stays on like it should. The minute I plug it back into the mother board it starts blinking again. My first thought is that I blew the power supply. I ordered a new one on ebay and tried it and that one gets the fans and hard drives to spin but then turns off. I then went to Best Buy and bought another power supply and that one has the same problem so I can pretty much say that between the 3 power supplies at least one or two are good.

2nd symptom: I ordered a new mother board and cpu chip off of ebay and connected that to one of the new power supplies. The PC actually booted up for less than 5 minutes before freezing and then started acting the same as when the old mother board was in. The really odd part is that when it did boot up, all of my graphic settings were off and had to be reset. What's the chance that I somehow fried the 2nd mother board? It was a new power supply.

Current situation: I've disconnected everything from the mother board with the exception of the cpu. When I connect the power supply and turn it on I do get one long beep which should mean there is a memory failure. I have two different memory sticks so I try putting one at a time into memory slot one and turning on the pc. There is no beep when I turn on the power now, but within seconds the power supply turns off. No beeps, nothing ever shows up on the monitor. I've tried resetting the bios using the jumper. I have two cpu chips. One cpu chips gives me the one long beep when I don't have a memory stick installed and one cpu doesn't give me the one long beep but instead just turns off in seconds. What's the chance of both memory sticks going bad at the exact same time?

I'm going to bring the power supply back to Best Buy but I don't want to spend too much money on a 4 year old PC.

If it wasn't so soon after Christmas I'd just buy a new desktop but right now that's not an option.

Any ideas on what to try next?

The A7N8X-LA is an old AMD Asus motherboard. If you bought off of E-Bay, that motherboard may be bad too. Have you tried resetting the CMOS (Pulling out the button battery)?

Yes, I've tried pulling out the battery and even tried swapping the batteries between the mother boards.

Tmagic650 said:
The A7N8X-LA is an old AMD Asus motherboard. If you bought off of E-Bay, that motherboard may be bad too. Have you tried resetting the CMOS (Pulling out the button battery)?

Your original motherboard is probably good. The problem guess of the power supply was a good one but you didn't buy a good replacement... The original power supply for that model was a real turkey. Look for Sparkle or Antec, if you were able to return the one from best buy.

The usual suspects are: CPU fan, dirt in the cpu heat sink, bad memory module, bad video card unless you have an integrated video on the motherboard, and bad hard drive. But it could also be as simple as evil malware infestations.

What happens when you boot to Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key repeatedly once per second until it boots... then let it alone. Does it stay on in Safe Mode?

The first replacement power supply from ebay was from PowerKing. The one I bought from Best Buy is from RocketFish.

I've pulled the graphic card that came with the pc and tried switching to the internal graphic card but still get the same result which is the power supply turning off within seconds.

I don't have the hard drive hooked up right now and I don't even get the bios startup message so I get no where near trying to boot up in safe mode. I would love to see at least the bios startup message.

raybay said:
Your original motherboard is probably good. The problem guess of the power supply was a good one but you didn't buy a good replacement... The original power supply for that model was a real turkey. Look for Sparkle or Antec, if you were able to return the one from best buy.

The usual suspects are: CPU fan, dirt in the cpu heat sink, bad memory module, bad video card unless you have an integrated video on the motherboard, and bad hard drive. But it could also be as simple as evil malware infestations.

What happens when you boot to Safe Mode by pressing the F8 key repeatedly once per second until it boots... then let it alone. Does it stay on in Safe Mode?

At this point it looks like at least one of the motherboards is bad. HP didn't use proprietary power supplies like Dell does. I've worked on several old HP's and Dells...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back