HP Pavilion dv1000 won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

alisbin

hey mates,
just got myself a free (loaded) hp pavilion dv1000.
reason it was free is because it won't start, won't accept power in any way, obviously i'll probably use it for parts, but i've seen a few posts about this being a common problem with dv1000s and that soldering the power linkup to the motherboard can correct this problem.
first question, has anyone done this successfully? or know someone that has.
and second question, if not, can anything think of something else that would cause this problem?

base history of the machine: (i don't have its exact specs beyond knowing that the original buyer loves desktop replacement quality laptops) original owner bought it, had problems with it occasionally shutting off without warning (hard shutdown) then eventually it just wouldnt start, no other known problems.

the typical problem of this series is burned gate-driven mosfets. they located near DC jack on the MB. another problem is again burned CPU Vcore gate-driven mosftes. arm yourself with tester and check all mosftes on MB. especially in "bridge" positions.

lamo, is any of that fixable? i'm really not that familiar with circuit design or repair, though i have access to a person who IS

any reliable repair shop should be able to repair the board. More often it is more economical to replace the motherboard.

well i have a guy that would do the fix for cost no labor, and if all it needs is soldering, then it would free (i'll give him $10 anyway but still)
in the case that i need a new mobo for it, appx what would that run me?

um medinadoctor, when i said won't start i meant WON'T START, as in when i press the power button nothing happens. (i said won't accept power)
anyway, for people who did read the post, my guy didnt think he could fix it so i replaced the mobo, that fixed it. however a few weeks after i got it fixed the new mobo's HD controller died so i'm trying to get the guy i bought the mobo from to replace it. otherwise it worked great though i must say (well the right mouse button doesnt work consistantly but that was easy to get past by just setting the left mouse button to act as the right and left clicking on the touchpad).

thanks for the input btw (sorry but not you medinadoctor, please READ posts before replying)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back