Hp Pavilion Xe783 adding memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all
I got this Hp Pavilion Xe783 Desktop came with Windows ME It took sometime but got xp pro on it and purchase 2 sticks of 256 memory but I can not get it to take 2 sticks i get error will not boot to windows.I can not add any 2 sticks just 1 stick or i get error.I went to Hp and updated the bios. anyone know what to do? :confused:

Thanks

Yes semodeals,
Since you were running Windows Me, I know your system is an older one. You must get proprietary memory for this model HP. If you didn't get the additional memory directly from HP, you have probably bought incompatible RAM

I found some others having same trouble,Something to do with the bios Hp saids was not made for XP or Win 2000 .But lol I am not never been much on windows me.

My Dell got hit by lighting it was max had 2 gigs memory I parted it out,I bought a Emachine has cd rw dvd and all T2778 2700+ AMD Athlon xp cheap you plug it in fan starts and power button blinks i think it need a mother board not sure if its worth fixing a 2700+ is under 2 gig?

About to try the same thing problem with case (its not just me)

Im about to try the same thing with exact same computer BUT and this is really stupid, I can NOT get the friggin thing open to even see anything. The specs on HP for this system states that it may not have any free slots for extra RAM so I want to make sure I can add more ram before I get a monitor keyboard and mouse etc...HOW THE HECK DO I GET THE CASE OPENED? I've never had this problem before and when I searched it on google it seems to be a common problem! HELP

Hp Pavilion Xe783 Desktop

Hi
Just take the 4 screws out on back cause cover is all one piece get your screws out and just pull back and it comes off.

Good luck

got it thanks now to find cheap compatible memory

I worked on it for a while then when I went back to it I got it right off easily, I think it was just so dirty that it was hard to pry off! I'd like to buy memory off of ebay but I'm not sure if it will be compatible--if I get PC 100 168pins up to 256? megs I would think it would work fine... but I'm worried about HP although I found lots of hardware sites offering all different hp compatible RAM

How much you give for 2 sticks?

I have 2 sticks of 256 kingston cause going to get rid of mine I will stick the 128 back in it.If you need them i can put them on a buy me now

read the installing ram and troubleshooting guide in the guides forum before doing anything else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back