HP Pavilion

Status
Not open for further replies.
My wife's HP Pavilion has hit the bunk, or so it seems.

It's a four year old laptop, which has been suffering from serious spyware problems for a while. Before it quit, I ran Panda active scan on it, and it detected 200+ malware infections. When I tried cleaning out Temp. Internet files, cookies, etc., IE would freeze and not respond.

Then - the mouse quit on logon. So, I thought, I've had it, time to reformat and reinstall manufacturer software. Which I did, only to find out that on boot-up mouse and keyboard both refused to respond. Not good.

Ran the diagnostic utility, which said something about RAM being set wrong, and then point out some non-specific "board problem".

Does anyone have any idea what this is about, before I reach for my biggest sledge hammer and have some quality time in my backyard with this piece of junk? :suspiciou

download Spybot search and destroy and ad-aware.
run both.

panda anti-virus sucks. Use norton or mcafee.

consider using an alternate web browser like mozilla or firefox. They're less prone to virus and trojan attacks.

Well, I'd happily do that, if I could get past the Welcome to Windows XP screen, where neither my mouse nor my keyboard allow me to click on the "Next" button.

then your hard drive is corrupt, you need to reformat it and reload windows onto it with all updates. Then install previously mentioned programs. Before you format it, try booting in safe mode.

Interesting idea, I'll try Safe Mode tonight. I'm just curious, when I reinstalled the manufacturer provided software - didn't that format the hard drive automatically? It's been awhile since I've formatted drives, sorry... Win XP seems to have a life of its own, and formatting drives seems like a thing of the past anymore.

Thanks

I also have a 3YO Pavilion and my manf software gives the option of 'recover' or 'fomat and recover'. If diag is giving a report of incorrect memory ty removing and reinserting the dimm.

pops11228 I have a question for you

I was reading your post with MajorSmith and maybe you have an answer for my problem.

I installed an ethernet card, installed the software, no problem. Well then to clean it up and get rid of all the junk my kids had done on it. I did a restore to put it back to factory like condition. Well towards the end of doing the first disk, it comes up with an error message stating that not all the files have loaded properly and either my disk is bad, or my cd rom is corrupt. My cd drive works just fine, and the last time I had to use the disks they worked fine. When it boots up after the HP Pavilion screen it goes to the list to boot up in safe mode. So I click on number 3 it goes to the Windows ME screen then shuts down.

Do you have an idea of what my options are? I went to the HP parts store and of course they don't have that in stock anymore. I do have a question, if I am sunk, my sister just got a new computer, her old one is an HP Pavilion, her hard drive is okay, it was the motherboard, could I take her hard drive and put it in my computer?

Thanks for any help you can give.

Did you try removing the newly installed hardware (ethernet card) and then running the restore disks? It is saying "not all the files have loaded properly and either my disk is bad or my cd rom is corrupt". The restore is assuming that the configuration is the same as origional. If your new hardware conflicts with something else then the restore may not have the ability to deal with it. After you restore then install the new hardware.
If your sisters computer was the same model then her harddrive might work. I installed my software on several hard drives but I had to attach them to the Pavilion motherboard because the restore program only works on CERTAIN MODELS of the Pavilion.
Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back