HP Pavillion 7950 Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

dazzer9535

Ok before you all laugh at my PC I have a small problem.

I have tried to upgrade the RAM on this PC but Im having little luck the story so far >>>>>

I have a older but still going strong HP Pavilion 7950 that I accuired for free and Ive resurrected it and to be honest its a little darling of a PC but only had 256mb of RAM so I ordered some more another 512mb from Crucial and I came up against a bit of an odd problem, If I put the 256 and 512 into the slots (I only have 2) I get on stop errors and also beeps to say somethings awry.

Anyway I have tried every single way of trying the RAM different sized RAM in different slots and all sorts now a friend said it maybe down to the fact that the RAM needs to be two sizes of the same stuff ie. only 512 and 512 not 512 and 256 I have heard this before but how true is this with a HP Pavilion 7950 as crucial didnt say that may be the problem they have never heard of this before.

Just wandered if anyone wants to take a stap at this I will have another 512 turn up on Mon or Tues so I will know for certain then

Today I inserted the RAM 512 and 512 and guess what the PC boots to first screen where it shows 1024 installed and thats it I mean it woont go any further it justs stays there and thats it, I take out 512 and alls fine again, HP and crucial reckon 1024 is fine to run on this PC, any ideas as my hair is getting thinner :(

Thanks People :D

Thats the first thing I did read which led me to signing up to try and solve my problem, but alas I cant get my head around this one although I will have another long read.

Cheers Ears :)

You said everythings fine with the old 512 only. What happens if you put the new 512 in only and reboot?

Well 512mb is the max its gonna take. You could buy a cheap Socket A Motherboard and Transfer all your stuff (CPU, RAM , Hard drive etc) onto the new motherboard.

IBN said:
Well 512mb is the max its gonna take. You could buy a cheap Socket A Motherboard and Transfer all your stuff (CPU, RAM , Hard drive etc) onto the new motherboard.

Funny you should mention that as Ive been onto HP UK and they have said that the mobo I have will take 1gig if I had the US version but I have the UK version and 512mb is the max I can have, So I contacted Crucial UK and they said that they were correct and 1gig will fit, I sent them a link to my mobo from HP and oh looky they backed down :) so its the crucial website that has the wrong info so a refund is on its way.

Thanks people :):)

dazzer, like you said, the UK model can only use up to 512. HP, as well as other manufactures like to take motherboards and modify them in any way they please. Like IBN said, you could replace the motherboard with an inexpensive one, but you may have problems installing the OS from the recovery disks, as HP also likes to have their disks only be able to be installed on an HP motherboard. A new motherboard wouldn't be recognized as an HP part, and chances are, the installation of the OS won't work. I know 512 doesn't seem like a whole lot, but actually that's still pretty good for a computer of that power. I received a freebie Fujitsu notebook that is very limited with it's memory. The max is only 256, but the way I look at it...heck, it was free. LOL. Oh well. Take care.

Spooky Ive just had delivered my other stick of 256 about 2mins ago sp im gonna stick with 512 as the most intensive prog I use is PSP8, but im ok for swapping the mobo as I have a Genuine XP Pro disc I was given :)

Cheers

Eek! That is a bit spooky. LOL. Well, good that you have the disk. At least you don't have to deal with all of the extra HP junk. I would have to spend over an hour just uninstalling extra programs...and really useless ones at that. What is PSP8? Photoshop?

Its Paint Shop Pro 8 by JASC its a super dooper programme and im so glad I got the XP Pro disk it was from a mate who just had it lying about and it was never ever used and he said hey do I want it, too right I did and i thought it may be a pain installing as it had no key with it so I used the one off the side of this HP PC and it worked a treat :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back