HP's invention, due in drives soon, lets users burn labels

Status
Not open for further replies.

Phantasm66

"Looking for a way to label your multitude of CDs and DVDs neatly and efficiently? HP has come up with an elegant answer: Use the same laser that already burned the data to make a label on the flip side of the disc. "

"A technology dubbed LightScribe enables drives to burn a silk screen-like, high-contrast label on the upper side of CD or DVD media bearing a special coating. After completing a data burn, users will be prompted to flip the disc over to burn a label onto the other side. "

"There are no consumables like ink or ink jet cartridges; the only consumable is the disc itself," says Daryl Anderson, project manager and HP engineer responsible for inventing the technology as part of a joint effort between HP's Imaging and Printing Group and its Personal Systems Group.

More here.

Cool!

Maybe now I'll finally remember to label my cd's so I know what's on them.

Just hope the price won't be too high, and that you can buy the cd's in stacks of 50.

The yamaha burner lets you draw or write text on the data side of the disc & on the unused portion of the disc ( technology called DiscT@2 ). If you burn a CD with 700mb worth of a data ( on a 700mb blank CD ), you had no room left to write text & whatnot.

This HP burner lets you do it on the other side of the disc.

I just hope there won't be any cases of CDs catching fire with this technique.;)

You'll get my Sharpie when you pry it from my cold, dead hands
shootc.gif

That would be very handy though for things where you'd want a nice looking label.

Originally posted by StormBringer
That would be very handy though for things where you'd want a nice looking label.

Or want a lot of info on the disc... The latter is at least true for me who can't manage to write small letters ina readable way using a filt-tip pen....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back