http:// everything

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekul5400

when trying to get rid of a recurring homepage which wouldnt let me change , in the regedit i accidentally changed a default prefix from no value set to HTTP , so now whenever i try to open anything it opens internet explorer and im almost sure i dont have a backup reg file. can anyone help?

ok, ive fixed that now, i went into safe mode and edited the registry there but nowwhen i try to open internet explorer it says
www.google.com could not be found and cannot find the file rundll32.exe (or one of its components) etc
has it been deleted somehow?

This is a good reason to back up your registry before you change anything in it. Have you tried using the restore feature with windows?(assuming you have XP since your profile isn't filled out).

BTW :wave:Welcome to TechSpot:wave:

yeah illl fill in my profile now , i have windows 2000.i fixed that problem by once again i edited the registry in safe mode and this time i deleated the key i thought was faulty and remade it which got rid of that but now, more problems, when i start my computer up it always asks for the windows 2000 disk which i have and it seems to install everything but when i reboot it does the same thing, it also does this for a file named msredist.ini which i dont think i have. and a lot of files now dont work properly (i cant use norton antivirus, all programmes that do work are very slow, and occasionally some websites dont work like hotmail) lot of stuff there lol, any ideas?

oh yeah i can't click on a lot of links either or use ctrl + f on a web page

yeah, i cant do that no matter what i do i cant boot it from the disc, i can do it when ive logged on, but not when booting up , it says boot failed press f1 to retry or f2 to enter settings. but even when im logged on, i repaired it but it made no difference at all, im considering formatting and barely anything is working and a lot of websites keep not working and at the bottom the url is replaced with something like feednchost.info ,lol my computer sucks, any more ideas?

Is your cdrom set as the first bootable device in your BIOS? Do it sounds like your registry is messed up. But Have you run any time of virus software with updated virus defs or any type of ad/spyware remove program like adware.
But if you are unable to repair your install you. If you have tried reinstalling windows & you are still having problems you may want to reformat & do a clean install of windows. If you have a Dell I think this is what the restore disk will do by default

yeah my virus definitions are up to date, but i cant delete the virus's that come up because when i click on the name (which normally gives me removal instructions) a page cannot be displayed site comes up. i could delete them from their directory but that would leave their files in the registry wouldnt it?
and yeah ive followed the boot method perfectly and it just wont work

im on broadband, i havnt got the NAV disk its at my dads work, it was installed on my computer then given back to me. ill try and get it back though. and i made a backup once, but the freednchost.net site came up around that time so i dont really wanna restore it.
thanks a lot for your help by the way

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back