Huawei MT841 - Help required on setting up a LAN!

Status
Not open for further replies.
HI All,

I have one desktop running WinXP Pro and a laptop Running Vista Home Premium.

Now what I need is to connect both the systems through LAN use the broadband connection in both the systems simultaneously and independent of each other i.e. I should be able to connect to internet without keeping on a particular system.

And as I have a Type III modem (MT841) with four LAN port and one USB port which can act as a router too, I need to set up a LAN not wireless LAN.

What I am trying to achieve is:

h**p://i26.tinypic.com/erfzmo.jpg

Please provide a step by step guide as I am not very much comfortable with networking and stuff. And I have searched through this forum but with no luck! :(

Also I need to know how to backup my current firmware which happens to be of 19 July, 2005 (factory one). I tried this and encountered following error:

tftp -i 192.168.1.1 GET *.* c:\MT841teimage.bin
Error on server : You are not unlocked for reading

And please provide the link for latest stable firmware which I suppose is Dec, 2005.

Thanks in advance! :)

Read the manual for your router and then come and ask about the bits you didn't understand?

Nodsu said:
Read the manual for your router and then come and ask about the bits you didn't understand?

1. If I can use this modem as router?
2. If yes, then is it possible to connect it in such a way that systems in the network won't be dependent on any particular system (i.e. it has to be powered on to access net from the other system!)?
3. If yes, then how to do it?
4. How can I backup my current firmware from this modem?

Thanks in advance! :)

the hardware for operating systems independently from one another is to use a router,
NOT the MS ICS solution
Code:
[COLOR="Red"]modem----systemA-----SystemB[/COLOR]

*Some* modems have router support (DSL), but few ports for connections, in which case you add
Code:
modem----multiport.switch---- and all systems connect to a LAN port

Far more typical for Cable connections:
Code:
modem----router --- and all systems connect to a LAN port

As for Q4: That's dependent upon access to the config page of the modem.
IF you can access it, then it's likely to have a router and there should be a link to
a Firmware Update/Backup service

jobeard said:
the hardware for operating systems independently from one another is to use a router,
NOT the MS ICS solution
Code:
[COLOR="Red"]modem----systemA-----SystemB[/COLOR]

*Some* modems have router support (DSL), but few ports for connections, in which case you add
Code:
modem----multiport.switch---- and all systems connect to a LAN port

Far more typical for Cable connections:
Code:
modem----router --- and all systems connect to a LAN port

Thanks jobeard for the detailed explanation!

but my modem manual says:

Code:
[B]Built-in switch, supports up to 4 Ethernet connections[/B]

And it has 4 LAN ports so in that case do I require an extra router?

jobeard said:
As for Q4: That's dependent upon access to the config page of the modem.
IF you can access it, then it's likely to have a router and there should be a link to
a Firmware Update/Backup service

It's web interface doesn't allow you to backup the existing firmware though it allows to upgrade it. So I have tried this but got an error:

Code:
[COLOR="Red"]Error on server : You are not unlocked for reading[/COLOR]

Any idea guys?

kde said:
Thanks jobeard for the detailed explanation!

but my modem manual says:

Code:
[B]Built-in switch, supports up to 4 Ethernet connections[/B]

And it has 4 LAN ports so in that case do I require an extra router?
Nop -- get a switch. No config and you just plug the uplink to ANY router LAN port
and use the switch ports for systems :)

It's web interface doesn't allow you to backup the existing firmware though it allows to upgrade it. So I have tried this but got an error:

Code:
[COLOR="Red"]Error on server : You are not unlocked for reading[/COLOR]
Nop, that will not work. If you download the load the latest firmware update for that make/model (be sure to get it right!) ---
THAT BECOMES your backup :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back