Huawei unveils TalkBand B1 smart band at the Mobile World Congress

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Huawei on Sunday officially unveiled their first ever wearable technology device at the Mobile World Congress in Barcelona. Dubbed TalkBand B1, the device is a smart band that features a 1.4-inch flexible OLED panel fitted in a plastic case. It pairs with your smartphone through NFC and Bluetooth 4.1, and supports wireless calling through a removable Bluetooth earpiece.

The device doubles as a fitness tracker that records things like steps taken, distance, and calories burned during the day. The water resistant smart band is also capable of monitoring the quality and duration of your sleep, while a smart alarm function can figure out the optimal time to go off during a period of light sleep.

The TalkBand B1 is fitted with a rechargeable 90mAh battery and boasts a 6 day battery life, according to the company. You can charge the device through a USB connection. However, it'll take 2 hours to get fully charged.

The new device will be available in China by March, whereas it will launch in Japan, the Middle East, Russia, and Western Europe in Q2. It weighs only 26g and is compatible with devices running Android 2.3+ and iOS 5.0+. As for the price, Huawei's Richard Yu announced that the TalkBand will be available for €99, or about $136.

Permalink to story.

In other words it's expensive and doesn't do anything useful at the moment. I guess manufacturers have to start somewhere.

In other words it's expensive and doesn't do anything useful at the moment. I guess manufacturers have to start somewhere.

To me is what a smartwatch should be, show basic information, maybe do some fitness tracking for those who are interested in it, the wake up alarm thingie got my atention, long lasting battery and the ability to get a headset out of it sounds cool, we would have to see it on practice, also the price tag is reasonable and the design is quite cool.

To me is what a smartwatch should be, show basic information, maybe do some fitness tracking for those who are interested in it, the wake up alarm thingie got my atention, long lasting battery and the ability to get a headset out of it sounds cool, we would have to see it on practice, also the price tag is reasonable and the design is quite cool.
It will appeal to some people but the only thing I think it's got going for it is it's versatility to work with most Android phones. I never needed, wanted or missed anything like this in my life ever so I see no use it. Wearable tech for everyone but there must be a market for it or else why would manufacturers bother...

Back