matching 512 RAM in the 2 A slots

P4 2.8 CPU (Northwoods (right name?))

I thought I was all set to hyperthread,
but spotted something in a post yesterday
that seems to say that P4 won't support
hyperth?

Tell me it isn't SO!!

I might be wrong

I may be wrong, but I run hyperthreading on many of my P4 PC's, as far as I know hyperthreading is a Intel pentium feature, celeron and AMD don't support hyperthreading, I know AMD has it's own answer to hyperthreading and I'm not sure about celeron.

Easiest way to know if your computer has hyperthreading enabled is to:
Press altogether clt, alt and del which should open up your task manager, go to the performance option if your CPU USAGE HISTORY shows two separate windows and threads going then you have hyperthreading enabled if its just one window then you dont.

All pentium 4s dont have hyperthreading but yours mite, go into the motherboard bios and there should be an option to enable or disable hyperthreading if your processor and motherboard support that feature.

Intel's hyperthreading and Amd's hypertransport are not the same infact they are totally different technologies and not the answer to one another.

Any P4 running on a 200MHz (800) or higher FSB has HyperThreading. If your 2.8 P4 is a P4C, you shouldn't have any problems getting it to work.

I looked on the cpu and I didn't see anything
that looked like P4C

I know the board is hyperth capable
(ASUS P4C800E-Del) and it's an
800 FSB, so -

I'm finally closing in on getting it mechanically
put together - got my 120mm & 92mm Antec
Smart Fans today, along with my round cables
for the DVD & floppy, so - "any time now".

Also got my Arctic Silver 5 so got my heat sink
on (after polishing both surfaces on a flat surface
w/2000 grit paper) and got all my wires tied off
and out of the airstream.

This is just about as much fun as building
hot rods!

Well there have been P4B parts running at 2.8GHz, let's just hope it's not the one you have.

If on startup, the CPU runs at 1400MHz (14x100), then it's mots likely a HyperThreading capable Northwood part. If at startup, it runs at 2100MHz (21x100), it's not HyperThreading capable.

(Here's where's my ignorance shines!)

It IS supposed to be a Northwoods, so
does that alone make it hyper capable?

And where do I find the CPU speed?

Thanks!!!

All Northwoods did not have HyperThreading enabled. It only started with the the 3.06P4B & P4Cs. Can you write here the full serial on the chip ? Or if it's running, you can simply run CPU-z to find out.

Hey did you try what i suggested its alot easier than to locate serial numbers, fsb or downloading programs onto your computer to find out if its hyperthreading capable or not....

Edit: Oh i didnt realize your computer is not up and running yet but if you can not find the answer before setting it up try the above after you have your computer running.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back